Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a kitten by jealous of a baby/toddler?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM
  • 15 Replies
I got a new girl kitten about 3 months back. I have a 1 year old daughter. For the past two months I've noticed that the kitten has been doing strange things. When my daughter is napping the kitten will creep into the room and just stare at my daughter for about 15 minutes then jump up in the crib next to her. There are times when I've walked in the room and the kitten would be laying in my daughter's crib while she's in the play pen. Also the kitten have slept in her stroller and car seat a few times. I thought it maybe because the kitten can smell the sent of milk on my daughter's things. I've never seen this behavior from a cat nor a kitten before. It is jealously because she wants attention?
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM

My thoughts is YES as all animals can be jealous.  Animals tend to be very territorial in my experience.  The kitten could be becoming territorial around your LO.  I for one am not a fax with cats/kittens around babies.  They have been known to suffocate the baby due to the smell of milk around there mouth.  Scares the crap out of me.  Found some websites that might be helpful.  Maybe even talking with your vet to see what they think.   

http://www.cat-world.com.au/cats-a-babies-can-they-co-exist

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/new-baby-cat-safety

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/newborn-baby-and-5-and-a-half-month-old-kitten.306422/

coala
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

It's not jealousy.  She just wants to be where your DD's scent it.  I have cats that prefer to sleep on bags, in chairs, on pillows.  I have that is sleeping on my DD's booster seat as we speak.  They sleep in baskets of clean luandry.  Cat's are odd creatures.  I will bet that once your DD is slightly older that she will have an unbreakable bond with that cat.  Just watch it grow!!  I have one cat who will let my DD do anything to it, but as soon as anyone else tries that same stuff she has a fit.  LOL

delanna6two
HAPPY FALL!!!
Today at 4:25 PM
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 3:41 PM
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:09 PM

I am not sure. We don't have pets.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:40 PM

I'm not sure, it's possible

Ladyteancum
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:19 PM
Our cat loved dh. Like really really loved. She would climb in the shower with him. She hated our son when he was born. She kept peeing and pooping on our son's stuff. We tried and tried. She ended up having to go live on my parent's farm. She hated the baby.
So yeah cats can be jealous.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:55 PM
Nope. Just curiosity.
mnmo3bb
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 3:35 AM

I don't think this kitten is jealous but just really really likes her? I would think jealousy would be displayed by getting into stuff for behavior esp when you are attending to the child. 

Julie9999
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 6:10 AM

If it had been an older cat you had since before your dd was born, yes it could have been jealoussy.

But in this case, sounds like your kitten just likes your dd and is bonding with her. one of my cat is like that with my 5yo ds. the cat literally follow him around all the time. Sometimes I wonder if that cat has some dogs in in relatives! Its actaully very cute.

Khooks
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM
Cats can be jealous but that doesn't sound like jealousy to me. We had a cat that was jealous and started peeing on our things and became hostile. Then she ran away ☹️
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)