Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Armando's Shocking Test Results

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2017 at 9:22 PM
  • 20 Replies

I had asked the doctor if he would do allergy testing on Armando so he put in the script and we took him to do the bloodwork. The results came back and we were really shocked and I'm still stressing over it. Armando is allergic to: Egg White, Ovalbumin, Milk, Alpha Lactalbumin, Casein, Wheat, Sesame Seed, Peanut, Ara H 1, Ara H 3, and Soybean. He now has to carry an Epi-Pen. 

Anyone else have babies with food allergies? If yes, what are they and how are you handling it? 

by on Mar. 6, 2017 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shoot4thestars
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2017 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine do not but my coworker who I worked beside for 5 years, she has twin boys that are allergic to everything from under the sun wheat to dogs. she said the first time she went grocery shopping for things without stuff they're allergic to it took her and her husband four hours to figure out what to eat. but she said then longer you live like this the more you learn and the easier it gets. It's definitely a lifestyle change.
I always felt bad because when people brought goodies in she could never eat it because if it had a trace of something they're allergic too and hung on her lip or a crumb got caught on her shirt they would start swelling up. They're 11 years old now I believe and she found all this out right after their first birthday.
NatyRod
by Member on Mar. 6, 2017 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
DS has FPIES which is basically a gut allergy, not a systemic one.
Is been horrible. He's allergic to oats and rice. Something as small as a cherrio can send him to the ER.

Basically the gut can't absorb the protein on either food and in turn the body itself releases toxins which manifest in recurrent vomiting, phlegmy diarrhea (2 days+) and even fever.

It was REALLY frustrating. Before we knew what it was, every time we went to the ER they would call it a "stomach bug", until I had enough! I knows there was more to it.

Vomiting happens exactly 2 hours after the food is ingested. It isn't like food poisoning that the vomiting stops ones the food is out of the systemt, with FPIES the vomiting is ongoing causing quick dehydration and if not treated possible organ failure.

THANK GOD this is something he will eventually outgrow, but in the mean time it's been a hell of a ride! He's 3 yeas old.

I like to tell DS story bc I'm sure there are parents out there looking for answers, and sometimes not even most ER doctors know about.

Is your new reality and you will learn how to deal with it....I hope your son outgrows them soon. (HUGS).
HappyFamilyOf5
by Member on Mar. 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM

Thank you and thank you for sharing your story. My older son (7) has allergies also and Thursday they are retesting him and I'm praying he has outgrown them. I have had scary moments with him and him being hospitalized due to allergic reactions and I pray I will never have to go thru it again with him or the baby.

Quoting NatyRod: DS has FPIES which is basically a gut allergy, not a su systemic one. Is been horrible. He's allergic to oats and rice. Something as small as a cherrio can send him to the ER. Basically the gut can't absorb the protein on either food and in turn the body itself releases toxins which manifest in recurrent vomiting, phlegmy diarrhea (2 days+) and even fever. It was REALLY frustrating. Before we knew what it was, every time we went to the ER they would call it a "stomach bug", until I had enough! I knows there was more to it. Vomiting happens exactly 2 hours after the food is ingested. It isn't like food poisoning that the vomiting stops ones the feed is ou of the systemt, with FPIES the vomiting is ongoing causeing quick dehydration and if not treated possible organ failure. THANK GOD this is something he will eventually outgrow, but in the mean time it's been a hell of a ride! He's 3 yeas old. I like to tell DS story bc I'm sure there are parents out there looking for answers, and sometimes not even most ER doctors know about. Is your new reality and you will learn how to deal with it....I hope your son outgrows them soon. (HUGS).

NatyRod
by Member on Mar. 6, 2017 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I hear you girl.
DD is almost 3 months.
She has eczema. We have a allergist appt for when she turns 6 months. I'm praying she doesn't have any.

Although.... DS tested negative for ALL allergens they did on his skin. He tested NEG for oats and rice it's just his gut can't absorb its protein.. and so far there isn't a test for it. They diagnose it based on his symptoms.

I don't have any allergies, but my husband did have a lot of stomach issues as a child so that's where DS allergies come from. My mom is also extremely allergic to a bunch of things not just foods, so is definitely genetic. :/
Quoting HappyFamilyOf5:

Thank you and thank you for sharing your story. My older son (7) has allergies also and Thursday they are retesting him and I'm praying he has outgrown them. I have had scary moments with him and him being hospitalized due to allergic reactions and I pray I will never have to go thru it again with him or the baby.

Quoting NatyRod: DS has FPIES which is basically a gut allergy, not a su systemic one.
Is been horrible. He's allergic to oats and rice. Something as small as a cherrio can send him to the ER.

Basically the gut can't absorb the protein on either food and in turn the body itself releases toxins which manifest in recurrent vomiting, phlegmy diarrhea (2 days+) and even fever.

It was REALLY frustrating. Before we knew what it was, every time we went to the ER they would call it a "stomach bug", until I had enough! I knows there was more to it.

Vomiting happens exactly 2 hours after the food is ingested. It isn't like food poisoning that the vomiting stops ones the feed is ou of the systemt, with FPIES the vomiting is ongoing causeing quick dehydration and if not treated possible organ failure.

THANK GOD this is something he will eventually outgrow, but in the mean time it's been a hell of a ride! He's 3 yeas old.

I like to tell DS story bc I'm sure there are parents out there looking for answers, and sometimes not even most ER doctors know about.

Is your new reality and you will learn how to deal with it....I hope your son outgrows them soon. (HUGS).

AzariahsMother
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2017 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not at this point that I know of.

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that's alot. Is there a possibility that he'll out grow most of it? Are they sure it's accurate I've always heard that allergy testing wasn't 100%accurate til kiddos were 2??

We did find out that James is allergic to cranberries. That's it so far
HappyFamilyOf5
by Member on Mar. 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM
They say he may outgrow all but peanuts due to the level it is at.

Quoting rachel216: Wow that's alot. Is there a possibility that he'll out grow most of it? Are they sure it's accurate I've always heard that allergy testing wasn't 100%accurate til kiddos were 2??

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2017 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My son has a dairy and soy allergy.
rachel216
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2017 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting HappyFamilyOf5: They say he may outgrow all but peanuts due to the level it is at.

Quoting rachel216: Wow that's alot. Is there a possibility that he'll out grow most of it? Are they sure it's accurate I've always heard that allergy testing wasn't 100%accurate til kiddos were 2??

That's great! At least he can out grow most of everything
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 7, 2017 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds is allergic to tuna fish. He can eat other types of fish, shrimp, etc just not tuna for some reason. He goes to a new dr, since we just moved and got insurance here, and I will see if they will test him to see if he has any other allergies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN