Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nebulizer help! he wont sit still!!

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM
  • 20 Replies

ds is sick.  His O2 levels were at 92 at the dr today, and he was wheezing.  They loaned us a nebulizer to use to help him breathe easier.  The problem is that he doesnt like to sit still! Short of holding him down and making him yell, scream and cry (which will not help him get the medicine he needs), I'm not sure what to do.  His pedi suggested letting him play with my phone, but i dont have any apps that would appeal to him.  I'm ok with his playing with my old iPad, but what apps should I put on it?  If you have other suggestions, I would appreciate that as well! I dont want him getting used to playing on the phones or iPad if I can help it.  Thank you!!

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovely.mess
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Have you tried it while he was sleeping? Sometimes you just have to hold them and get the medicine to help them. Had to do this many time with DS
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:52 PM
We have a nebulizer that we use periodically for our 8 month old. He usually likes to put the mouthpiece in his mouth and use it like a teether. Otherwise I use it while I'm nursing him or when he's sleeping,which both work well. I'm not sure about apps for babies since I don't use them. Maybe there's a baby Einstein app? Or videos on youtube.
onehotmama410
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM

I have tried it while hes sleeping, but it wakes him up.  :( And holding him just makes him fight and cry/scream, and he doesnt get enough of the medicine then. Im hoping he wont need this longer than a few days, but the dr said it might be an early start to asthma (his dad and older brother have it too.).  he will learn eventually if he needs it longer than a few days, but hes a fighter.

Quoting lovely.mess: Have you tried it while he was sleeping? Sometimes you just have to hold them and get the medicine to help them. Had to do this many time with DS

onehotmama410
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM

We werent given a mouth piece. Just a mask that seems to terrify him. We keep the mask off and hold it as close as we can to his face (its what we did at the dr office too.) At the office they let him play with a new toy, but he got over the newness pretty quick and ended up crying and screaming.  I tried while he was sleeping, but the machine wakes him up. :(  I dont want to use apps, but Im kinda desperate. lol!  He doesnt really like tv, but maybe the short times of the videos on youtube would entertain him better.  thank you!

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A: We have a nebulizer that we use periodically for our 8 month old. He usually likes to put the mouthpiece in his mouth and use it like a teether. Otherwise I use it while I'm nursing him or when he's sleeping,which both work well. I'm not sure about apps for babies since I don't use them. Maybe there's a baby Einstein app? Or videos on youtube.

Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:07 PM

I am so sorry your baby is sick! Max had bronchitis a few mos ago & I would wrap him in a big blanket to keep his arms down and sit him on my lap. After a while I would loosen my grip and of he reached for the mask I would wrap him up again. The last few days of treatment he went willingly & didn't need the blanket he actually squealed with glee when I told him it was time for his breathing medicine. It will get better! A lot of crying at the start then acceptance.

Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW the crying is good he will really take big breaths to let out the cry!

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM
Oh that's too bad they didn't give you one with a mouthpiece. My son hated the mask too. I totally understand your reluctance to use apps or videos but if it'll help him sit still to use his nebulizer then it's definitely worth it. No harm in using them for something important like that, especially when it doesn't take too long. Hopefully you find one he'll enjoy and sit still for. And I hope he's feeling better soon!

Quoting onehotmama410:

We werent given a mouth piece. Just a mask that seems to terrify him. We keep the mask off and hold it as close as we can to his face (its what we did at the dr office too.) At the office they let him play with a new toy, but he got over the newness pretty quick and ended up crying and screaming.  I tried while he was sleeping, but the machine wakes him up. :(  I dont want to use apps, but Im kinda desperate. lol!  He doesnt really like tv, but maybe the short times of the videos on youtube would entertain him better.  thank you!

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A: We have a nebulizer that we use periodically for our 8 month old. He usually likes to put the mouthpiece in his mouth and use it like a teether. Otherwise I use it while I'm nursing him or when he's sleeping,which both work well. I'm not sure about apps for babies since I don't use them. Maybe there's a baby Einstein app? Or videos on youtube.

joshsgirl12
by Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:10 PM
Just unscrew the mask and do it that way my DD as scared of the mask so I unscrewed it and she was fine with it that way.
sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:11 PM

It would take us at least two adults to hold our LOs down in the beginning. I often put on the alphabet song from YouTube when I have to use the nebulizer for our baby boy, which seems to help distract him.

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Have you tried just holding it up to his mouth? or even letting him try holding it up to his mouth? vs putting the whole strap thing around his head.  This is not uncommon for children to no like the nebulizer.

What about trying during down times.  Right before bed/nap.  This way he is already relaxed vs when he wakes up and is ready to play. 

Would it be helpful if someone else did it?  Dad, grandparent, aunt someone like that?

As far as apps for your phone that's kind of up to you. What does he like?  DD1 likes FisherPrice Animals and FisherPrice Monkey.

How are you able to tell he isn't getting enough of the medicine?  I didn't think there was a way to tell unless there is a new machine.  Personally I think it's hard to tell.  Better he get some than none.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)