Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cabinet safety in apartments?

Posted by on May. 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM
  • 21 Replies

We live in an apartment, so we cant put holes in things. Our cleaning supplies and typical under the kitchen sink things are in the pantry (with the door shut or a pressure gate in the doorway). The issue is the bathroom sink. I keep everything in plastic storage bins, and until recently it has been enough. But today he learned how to open them. I went to switch the laundry (that is in the kitchen) and come back to find personal products all over the bathroom and in the hallway. I have to leave the bathroom door open, otherwise we get mold and other issues. We have a lock on the toilet, so we never really worried about it before. Most of the things in that cabinet are dry goods (toilet paper, personal hygiene products, qtips, cotton balls), but I dont want them all over the place!

Does anyone have any ideas on keeping DS out of there? Other than the locks that you have to put screws in to hold them? They dont have handles, or I would just put hair bands or something around them.

by on May. 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM

a baby gate in front of the bathroom door so he can't get in there

K3412
by on May. 16, 2017 at 11:17 AM

They make magnetic locks for cabinets without handles that don't require holes. We've never put holes in any of our cabinets for baby proofing. I would just do an Amazon search if I were you.

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2017 at 3:53 PM
Amazon search and see what comes up also lowes or Home Depot
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM

I agree with either of the other ideas so far ;)

mikesmom65270
by on May. 16, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Baby gate sounds like a good idea.

Azure
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2017 at 7:43 PM

I think you could probably do something with command hooks to help with that but I'm not sure. I haven't baby-proofed in years. I hope you find something that works.

ThePoopFace
by Member on May. 16, 2017 at 9:30 PM

We keep the bathroom door closed in my house. I also have cabinet locks on that go around the door handles  in the bathroom and the kitchen. They are safety first brand 

janessa27
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2017 at 7:25 AM

We had the kind that you have to squeeze to unlock- they worked just fine:)

AzariahsMother
by on May. 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Can you share a picture of what your cabinets look like.  This might help to provide a better idea of what you need. 

I currently use these on doors that have knobs.  There is 1 in my kitchen and 1 in each of the bathrooms.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2969588&cp=&parentPage=search

I have these on my stove, and 1 other cabinet.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=71725196&cp=&parentPage=search

Check out Babies R Us below I am sure you can find something.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=safety%20locks&keywords=safety%20locks&origkw=safety+locks&sr=1&ff=Taxonomy&fg=Category&fd=&fv=2254197

momofnatalie
by on May. 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I used one that loops around the cabinet handles and you have to squeeze it to unlatch.  It works quite well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)