Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant dehydration

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:21 PM
  • 69 Replies
My son is 1 month old. And we're battling dehydration, we just discovered that he has a milk protein allergy/intolerance and started him on hypoallergenic formula. Weve only been on formula for 5 days. The last two days he's hardly had any formula. Yesterday he hardly had 9oz and today he's only had 5oz(it's 115pm). Now I do nurse at night bc I'm to tired to get out of bed and make a bottle. I've tried dream feeding him, keeping him up to continue to feed him anything I can think of to get him to eat. He has had wet diapers about 5 in the last two days. But his soft spot is slightly sunken in. He's also constipated.

**UPDATE**
So I took him to the ER Tuesday and all they did was give him Tylenol and ask me to try and feed him. He took about 1 1/2 oz more there so they sent us home. Today at the pediatricians office we found he's developed an ear infection (since Tues his ears were fine) and our pediatrician and I are on the same page. She ordered a swallow study for him and we will go from there. He's also lost 3oz since our last office visit so we are watching his weight closely

Yes I'm calling his pediatrician but I was wondering if any one had suggestions
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alexsi1
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:27 PM

The sunken in soft spot and lack of wet diapers is concerning. In all honesty I would take him to the ER with those symptoms if the pediatrician cannot see him today. If he gets incosolable or unusally sleepy I would take in right away. I hope he feels better.  

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM
Quoting Alexsi1:

The sunken in soft spot and lack of wet diapers is concerning. In all honesty I would take him to the ER with those symptoms if the pediatrician cannot see him today. If he gets incosolable or unusally sleepy I would take in right away. I hope he feels better.  

he's only 6 weeks old and I tend to over worry especially since he's so young. I called the peds office but the nurse didn't seem overly concerned since he has had 5wet diapers in the last 24hrs. They said "he's smart and can smell my breastmilk and would rather have that then formula"
la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM

If the nurse didn't seem concerned, I would just keep an extra eye on him but def go by diaper count.

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM
Quoting la_bella_vita:

If the nurse didn't seem concerned, I would just keep an extra eye on him but def go by diaper count.

yea it's just frustrating since you know that 14oz in two days isn't good and hes down 4oz from yesterday. It just seems like we're spiraling downward
momofnatalie
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM

Poor baby, is there any way you can alter your diet so you can breastfeed him more?

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM
This doesn't sound good take him in to the ER asap !
la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:07 PM

Quoting rachel216:
Quoting la_bella_vita:

yea it's just frustrating since you know that 14oz in two days isn't good and hes down 4oz from yesterday. It just seems like we're spiraling downward

Please keep us posted

virginiamama71
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:41 PM
I would take him to the doctor.
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM
I've heard that babies don't care for the taste of the hypoallergenic formulas. There are a few different types, so maybe trying a different kind will get him to drink more. My youngest had mspi (milk and soy protein intolerance) and I completely cut out anything that had even a trace or dairy or soy in it. I also had to cut out wheat as well. He just outgrew it a couple weeks ago around 11 months old. Definitely keep an eye on his wet diaper count and take him in if needed.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 1:09 AM

IMO, I would not be listening to the nurse at the doctors office with any over-the-phone advice.  I would be heading straight to the ER with an infant that young.  I do agree that he won't take the bottle because he can smell your milk.  I agree with a PP in that I would try altering your diet so that you can continue to nurse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)