Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waking Up Tired

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM
  • 14 Replies
My 13 month old ds#2 seems to be waking up tired a lot. He gets up anywhere from 5 (that's a rough morning and not often. Mainly because he has to poo and it might be awhile before he goes) to 7. I change him and nurse him. I will literally try for an hour to get him to go back to sleep and just end up giving in.

Sometimes he'll be happy. But then other times he will be happy then he will get real cranky. He ends up taking a cat nap for about 45 mins. Then he will nap again in the afternoon. He recently started fighting that nap and it takes forever to get him to go down.

Does anyone have tips or ideas on how to help him aleep better? I hate seeing him so tired and cranky.
by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikesmom65270
by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 12:43 PM

How early does he go to sleep at night? You might try eliminating the afternoon nap, see if he sleeps better and stays asleep longer.

BearFamily12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM
Bedtime is around 7.30.

So make the cat nap a real nap and then put him to bed early?

Quoting mikesmom65270:

How early does he go to sleep at night? You might try eliminating the afternoon nap, see if he sleeps better and stays asleep longer.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Sleep begets sleep. I find that waking too early or still tired usually means they're not going to bed early enough or getting enough sleep during the day for naps.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Perhaps not have the afternoon nap .. good luck :)

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Has this been going on long? I would maybe try him going to be a little earlier on the days he gets up early and maybe having nap time a little earlier if possible. At that age my youngest wasn't even sleeping through the night and was often cranky.

Azure
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Sounds like it's time to give up a nap.

BearFamily12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 6:20 PM
He doesn't sleep through the night yet. He gets up 1-2 times.

Maybe I could try that. Just adjust our day based on when he got up.

Quoting othermom:

Has this been going on long? I would maybe try him going to be a little earlier on the days he gets up early and maybe having nap time a little earlier if possible. At that age my youngest wasn't even sleeping through the night and was often cranky.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM

How do you get him back to sleep  when he gets up? we learned not to talk hardly at all, no lights on and slowly started limiting  how much interaction to help our youngest sleep through the night

Quoting BearFamily12: He doesn't sleep through the night yet. He gets up 1-2 times. Maybe I could try that. Just adjust our day based on when he got up.
Quoting othermom:

BearFamily12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:26 PM
I change and nurse. No lights on. No talkimg. Goes right back to sleep. He really isn't fully awake so with nursing he just goes right back to sleep

I tried not nursing and he ends up screaming and gets really upset. It takes longer to calm him down and i normally will end up nursing anyway.

Quoting othermom:

How do you get him back to sleep  when he gets up? we learned not to talk hardly at all, no lights on and slowly started limiting  how much interaction to help our youngest sleep through the night

Quoting BearFamily12: He doesn't sleep through the night yet. He gets up 1-2 times.

Maybe I could try that. Just adjust our day based on when he got up.

Quoting othermom:

Kmakksmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM
I would give up a nap and see if that helps. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)