Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and pumping?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2017 at 10:36 AM
  • 37 Replies

If you are a breastfeeding mom, how soon after your baby was born did you start pumping?
What are some tips would you give a new mom for pumping in the early weeks/months?

breastfeeding

by on Jul. 31, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madison.mom1999
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:50 PM

I started breastfeeding the day my daughter was born. I began pumping after two weeks.

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:35 PM
Wait a couple of weeks to start pumping. If you are going to school or work, pump once every morning, working or not, before, during or after the first morning feeding. A baby only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Use the slowest flow newborn nipple always, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows the baby's brain to register that his tummy is full, preventing overfeeding and preserving the supply. When the mother is away, she should pump every 2-3 hours. Pump parts can be stored in the refrigerator along with the milk. No need to wash them every session.

No need to get baby used to a bottle ahead of time. The mother should not even be present when a bottle is given.

Complete pumping and storage information can be found at www.LLLI.org (La Leche League) or Kellymom.com.
momofsixangels
by on Aug. 1, 2017 at 9:13 AM
I started pumping about a week after I had my babies
Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2017 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't pump much until two weeks afterwards my babies were and still excellent nursers and ate a lot and didn't use a bottle so there wasn't much need for pumping.
janessa27
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2017 at 10:02 AM

I never breastfed- but here is a bump for others to give tips:)

goddess99
by on Aug. 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Same here :)

Quoting janessa27:

I never breastfed- but here is a bump for others to give tips:)

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2017 at 3:17 PM

While in the hospital, I brought my own pump.  I knew I was going to have issues from the start. My sister warned me.  I hired a LC to come to our home with #1. I went from drops to overflowing bottles in a matter of days with her help.  I exclusively breastfed both kids 15 months and 18 months. 

sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2017 at 4:03 PM

I had to pump pretty soon because my baby was taken to the NICU and we had to use a syringe at first to feed.

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM
Dd didn't realize really take to breastfeeding. So I pumped and fed her that way from the start.
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2017 at 8:45 PM

I started pumping a week or so after my middle was born

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)