Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Solids

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2017 at 5:18 PM
  • 28 Replies
I'm sure it's been asked many times but honestly with a toddler and a baby who has time to go through the pages. Solids! My sons 5 months old and my doctor said at his 4 month appt not to start solids until 6 months!? I swear with my other son she told me 4-5 months. So questions when did you start your baby on solids? Did you go straight to baby food or did you do the baby rice? Also are there any mommas here that skipped the whole baby food thing/I can just smash up what I eat? And how many times a day did you give them something?
by on Aug. 6, 2017 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 5:22 PM

6 months is the reccomendation now and rice cereal is not reccomended now. We waited until baby was at least 6 months old, sitting unsupported, using pincer grasp, and lost the tongue thrust reflex. We did baby led. That means we skipped purees and any mashing. We gave small bites of whatever we were eating. Much eaiser and much more natural for baby. Always make sure baby has a bottle or nurses before solids are given. Breastmilk or formula should still be their main source of nutrition until they are a year old.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Aug. 6, 2017 at 5:52 PM

No earlier then 6 months is the new reccomendation.

We wait until at least 6 months and until baby is showing all the signs of being ready (can sit unassisted, has developed the pincher grasp, and has lost the tounge thrust reflex). With my second we skipped purees and just started with small piecesof soft foods. If you think about it, purees kind of teach kids how to eat backwards. We teach them to swallow without chewing first. Starting with small bites makes more sense in the long run because they have to learn to chew before they swallow.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 11:00 PM
This!

Quoting jjchick75:

6 months is the reccomendation now and rice cereal is not reccomended now. We waited until baby was at least 6 months old, sitting unsupported, using pincer grasp, and lost the tongue thrust reflex. We did baby led. That means we skipped purees and any mashing. We gave small bites of whatever we were eating. Much eaiser and much more natural for baby. Always make sure baby has a bottle or nurses before solids are given. Breastmilk or formula should still be their main source of nutrition until they are a year old.

AzariahsMother
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM

My first DD who is 17 now.  Just to give you an idea of time line she started cereal at 4-5 months and did that until 6-7 when we started baby food.  I don't remember when she full started until we started solids, but I know it was after 6 months.

DD who is 1 right now she didn't want cereal at all.  Just didn't have a liking.  She also didn't start baby food until she was 8 months.  She enjoyed her bottle and really didn't care for much more than that.  At 8 months it was shortly after she got the tasting for food we start solids.   

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2017 at 7:31 PM
When a baby is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session or bottle. Food before age one is not meant to replace breastmilk or formula. No cereal of any kind. The artificial iron binds with the iron in breastmilk so that none is absorbed, causing anemia. No pure├ęs or spoon feeding; it teaches babies to swallow without chewing, making for a potentially dangerous transition to table food. Many babies are are not ready for solids until much later. My children actually started with chopped or shredded meat and vegetables.
la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 7, 2017 at 10:42 PM

I agree : ) 

Quoting cabrandy03:

No earlier then 6 months is the new reccomendation.

We wait until at least 6 months and until baby is showing all the signs of being ready (can sit unassisted, has developed the pincher grasp, and has lost the tounge thrust reflex). With my second we skipped purees and just started with small piecesof soft foods. If you think about it, purees kind of teach kids how to eat backwards. We teach them to swallow without chewing first. Starting with small bites makes more sense in the long run because they have to learn to chew before they swallow.

boymom619
by on Aug. 7, 2017 at 10:45 PM
I feel like I know nothing about this milestone. My son can sit unassisted, don't know about the tongue thing and he has the pincher grasp your all talking about. He drools and opens his mouth if you are eating or gold something up to his mouth (naughty brother teasing all the time) it seems like he's ready. But since you all say to wait till 6 months he shall wait
shoot4thestars
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2017 at 11:54 PM
I waited until 6 months to offer food. My first accepted graciously and wolfed anything and everything I gave him. My second is 14 months and hates food still. I just feed them what we are having, and make it smooshy. My second is still nursed.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting boymom619: I feel like I know nothing about this milestone. My son can sit unassisted, don't know about the tongue thing and he has the pincher grasp your all talking about. He drools and opens his mouth if you are eating or gold something up to his mouth (naughty brother teasing all the time) it seems like he's ready. But since you all say to wait till 6 months he shall wait

The gut is still open at six months, and some solids can cause allergies at this point. After six months, this is not a problem for the majority of babies. You can Google "open gut" for a more complete explanation.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:27 AM
One thing you can do is put frozen breastmilk or formula cubes in a mesh feeder for a baby who can sit up but is not quite old enough for solids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)