Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very Bad Gas

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM
  • 37 Replies

My 2 week old son has very bad gas. The last couple days he's gotten worse and today is the worst. Now when he passes gas it's loud and stinky. He cries after and before like it hurts. I took him to his normal check up and the doctor said it was just him getting used to eating/processing/his body but she didn't actually see him like how he is when he has the bad gas. His dirty diapers have been a little less but I'm told that's normal. 

I give him mylecon (sp?) drops and gripe water (not at same time) and it doesn't seem to be helping. Currently he eats 50% breast milk and 50% gentle gerber formula - one or the other every 2 hours. We are going to test his poo to see if he has a formula allergry whenever he has his next dirty diaper.

I can tell he's so uncomfortable and I don't know if there's more I can be doing. It's very sad. Do any of you have any suggestions. 

by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor little guy! Hope you figure it out soon and he feels better!
egyptian_mommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM
Do you notice it more after he's had breast milk or formula?
Eholwager
by Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM

Thank you :)

Quoting goddess99: Poor little guy! Hope you figure it out soon and he feels better!

Eholwager
by Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM

It seems to be the same with both

Quoting egyptian_mommy: Do you notice it more after he's had breast milk or formula?

Kmakksmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Our kids all had really bad gas depending on the formula we gave them. We figured out different formulas for different kids.
mnmo3bb
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 12:43 AM

Would you take him to a chiro or give probiotics? You might have to cut dairy from your diet.

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:46 AM
Go back to breastfeeding. Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Have him checked for lip and tongue ties. Ties affect his ability to transfer milk properly abd can lead to gassiness, among other things. See the section on ties in the FAQ forum in the Breastfeeding Moms group for more information on this. Wear him upright in a sling or wrap.
Eholwager
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Thank you - we may try to mix it up :)

Quoting Kmakksmom: Our kids all had really bad gas depending on the formula we gave them. We figured out different formulas for different kids.

Eholwager
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

The formula has probiotics in it but I never thought of a chiro we may have to explore that :)

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Would you take him to a chiro or give probiotics? You might have to cut dairy from your diet.

Eholwager
by Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Right now I can't exclusively breast feed. We had a lot of problems and he lost a significant amount of weight.. like next step hospital amount of weight and everyone was/is so concerned. Since adding in formula he finally started gaining a few ounces. He's 2 weeks and 3 days old and still not back up to his birth weight.

He was toungue tied but we had that fixed a week or so ago and he has a very small lip tie but we're told that doesn't cause problems. We had a lot of problems with falling asleep during breastfeeding, it being very damaging to me and painful, and him not getting enough despite being offered and swallowing so much. We met with 4 different lactation consultants while in the hospital and even had to stay extra days because of the weight loss and nothing really helped (outside of fixing the tie). I've left several desperate messages for a consultant near our house and am going to try a different one today to see if maybe they have any new suggestions. To be honest I cried and cried for days over having to use some formula, but I cried more over the scary weight loss. 

Right now I'm pumping and bottle feeding and every other bottle is formula. When I can, I also try to breastfeed for 10 mins each side before bottle. 

That's a great suggestion about vertical feeding. That's what we try to do and when we use bottles we use the Dr. Brown wide nipple slow flow colic bottles. We try to only fill the nipple a little so he goes even slower. 

We do have a few wraps but we can't figure them out haha I thought they were supposed to be simple but the two we have there are like 20 steps to tie. I'll look into watching a video maybe on how they tie if you think they would help. 

Thank you so much for all of your suggestion! :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Go back to breastfeeding. Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Have him checked for lip and tongue ties. Ties affect his ability to transfer milk properly abd can lead to gassiness, among other things. See the section on ties in the FAQ forum in the Breastfeeding Moms group for more information on this. Wear him upright in a sling or wrap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)