Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blocked tear duct

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM
  • 12 Replies
I think my 3 week old has blocked tear ducts. I've been putting drops of breastmilk in, cleaning it, massaging ducts. Anything else I can do? Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last?
by on Sep. 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 11:43 AM
I would have a pediatrician look at them. Sometimes a little procedure is needed to open them completely.
Element5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM
I have worked for an ophthalmologist for 6 years and never heard of putting breast milk it..

I know that a used warm ( not hot) teabag people used. If crust mild baby shampoo.. heck some old wives takes even peepee used ( because it's steril)

For adults they put in tiny plugs withholes .. for a child it is something you need to go see a pediatric ophthalmologist. Even a good ophthalmologist can tell you what the problem is.
novachick
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM
I worked in daycare and one of the baby's there had that. He had to have his surgically fixed.
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 4:44 PM
My friends baby had a prescription cream.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Element5: I have worked for an ophthalmologist for 6 years and never heard of putting breast milk it..

I know that a used warm ( not hot) teabag people used. If crust mild baby shampoo.. heck some old wives takes even peepee used ( because it's steril)

For adults they put in tiny plugs withholes .. for a child it is something you need to go see a pediatric ophthalmologist. Even a good ophthalmologist can tell you what the problem is.

Breastmilk is great for clearing up pinkeye. Breastmilk has antibacterial properties and is non-irritating. It also works great as nose drops.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Element5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 10:06 PM
Never heard of that... good to know!

Pink eye the contagious kind there is really nothing you can do by to ease the "process". Even when my drs got it all they did was to use drops to lower the pressure so it doesn't look pink..
but I would be going to a dr if a baby that small was having some sort of problem.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting Element5: I have worked for an ophthalmologist for 6 years and never heard of putting breast milk it..

Breastmilk is great for clearing up pinkeye. Breastmilk has antibacterial properties and is non-irritating. It also works great as nose drops.
poosey08
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:47 PM
Thanks, he has an appointment this week.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I would have a pediatrician look at them. Sometimes a little procedure is needed to open them completely.
poosey08
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I've been putting a warm cloth and massaging it. He has an appointment with our pediatrician this week.

poosey08
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM
Hopefully it won't come to that! I read it clears on it's own most of the time.

Quoting novachick: I worked in daycare and one of the baby's there had that. He had to have his surgically fixed.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 1:19 AM
Quoting Element5: Never heard of that... good to know!

Pink eye the contagious kind there is really nothing you can do by to ease the "process". Even when my drs got it all they did was to use drops to lower the pressure so it doesn't look pink..
but I would be going to a dr if a baby that small was having some sort of problem.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

We actually tested this in my family. We all had it. My husband used the prescription antibiotic drops. The children and I used breastmilk. We were clear in two days--no discoloration, swelling or gunk. After five days, my husband was still a mess. He finally asked for the breastmilk drops. Breastmilk is also antiviral.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)