Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD Doesn't want to take naps

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2017 at 3:49 PM
  • 22 Replies
Hi , my DD is 13 months old. She hates taking naps during most of the days. Those days she is cranky n only wants to breastfeed. She is exclusively breastfed since birth. What do I do ?? Any suggestions are welcome ... BTW I am a ftm.
by on Oct. 2, 2017 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Go with it. You can't make them sleep more than they will. What she is doing by way of nursing is normal for her age. Lots of development, physical and mental, is going one right now. Speak to her and read to her to help her language development. Breastmilk is the best thing she could drink.
Supportdmoms
by Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 8:31 AM
Thank you for the advice ...

Quoting MusherMaggie: Go with it. You can't make them sleep more than they will. What she is doing by way of nursing is normal for her age. Lots of development, physical and mental, is going one right now. Speak to her and read to her to help her language development. Breastmilk is the best thing she could drink.
HaloSue
by on Oct. 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
One nap should be fine for her age. Depending on what time she wakes each morning. If she's up before 8 a.m. I would have her nap right after lunch about 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
Then she will be tired if she plays hard.
And should be ready for bed for the night about 8-9 p.m.
She needs a rest period as most children.
Ours took naps until first grade and we have quads. That was hard getting them all down together.
But we did! Once her bio clock sets by 1 p.m. she will be tired. And welcome the nap.
Since it's only one baby just lay down with her on a big bed. Put pillows around her once she falls asleep. It could take a couple weeks to get her to nap. Be consistent and always the same time everyday.
I had to do that with my youngest grandson eventually he looked forward to his naps.
Woke up in a much better mood too.
Is she teething? Check her entire mouth. Numb her if she has swollen gums. She should be getting more teeth at that age.
Nursing her is the best for your child. None of my children 6 were ever sick. I believe nursing them had a lot to do with it.
And still haven't ever been sick and they're 30's & 40's!
Enjoy her and the time she's napping lol
Element5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh wow.. that's young!

I have a 2 1/2 year old that few months a go stoped her 2nd nap and instead takes just one long one.

I would encourage maybe having some soothing music, sitting in a room reading.. maybe playing outside longer before she takes a nap so she gets tiered more.. but I would not give up. And even putting her in your bed and you going to nap with her.. lol I fall asleep myself probably faster! Lol

Good luck.
AzariahsMother
by on Oct. 3, 2017 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what FTM is, but not taking naps I think is common.  They get to an age where they want to explore and don't want to miss out on things.  Maybe this would be a good time for quiet time, reading a book, snuggles, letting her play with a small toy that makes no noise, listen to soft music.

DD22 month's has her moments when she doesn't want to nap, but when it gets to be around fussy time I tend to do the things I mention above.  Sometimes she ends up falling asleep and something she continues the activity for 30mins to and hour. 

Hope this helps and good luck!

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you! My daughter gave up naps altogether when she was around 2 1/2. "Naps are for babies!" she'd tell me!  Funny thing, now she's a sophomore in college, she thinks naps are marvelous!

When do you put her down for her nap?  Do you take her outside for a stroll and fresh air before the nap to help tire her out?

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AzariahsMother:

I don't know what FTM is, but not taking naps I think is common.  They get to an age where they want to explore and don't want to miss out on things.  Maybe this would be a good time for quiet time, reading a book, snuggles, letting her play with a small toy that makes no noise, listen to soft music.

DD22 month's has her moments when she doesn't want to nap, but when it gets to be around fussy time I tend to do the things I mention above.  Sometimes she ends up falling asleep and something she continues the activity for 30mins to and hour. 

FTM:
First
Time
Mother

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Supportdmoms
by Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM
Thank you so much wonderful suggestion.. I would definitely give it a try... We just moved to new place also so may be that's y she is also adjusting to the new place...

Thank you again

Quoting HaloSue: One nap should be fine for her age. Depending on what time she wakes each morning. If she's up before 8 a.m. I would have her nap right after lunch about 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
Then she will be tired if she plays hard.
And should be ready for bed for the night about 8-9 p.m.
She needs a rest period as most children.
Ours took naps until first grade and we have quads. That was hard getting them all down together.
But we did! Once her bio clock sets by 1 p.m. she will be tired. And welcome the nap.
Since it's only one baby just lay down with her on a big bed. Put pillows around her once she falls asleep. It could take a couple weeks to get her to nap. Be consistent and always the same time everyday.
I had to do that with my youngest grandson eventually he looked forward to his naps.
Woke up in a much better mood too.
Is she teething? Check her entire mouth. Numb her if she has swollen gums. She should be getting more teeth at that age.
Nursing her is the best for your child. None of my children 6 were ever sick. I believe nursing them had a lot to do with it.
And still haven't ever been sick and they're 30's & 40's!
Enjoy her and the time she's napping lol
Supportdmoms
by Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Yes I do I usually take her out for library storytime events . If she is up by 8 am I usually try to put her down in the crib by 11:30-12 when I see that she has started to rub her eyes n all... But you made a good point may be before her afternoon nap I can take her out .. thank you

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I feel for you! My daughter gave up naps altogether when she was around 2 1/2. "Naps are for babies!" she'd tell me!  Funny thing, now she's a sophomore in college, she thinks naps are marvelous!

When do you put her down for her nap?  Do you take her outside for a stroll and fresh air before the nap to help tire her out?

Supportdmoms
by Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for all the suggestions... I will try to incorporate them .. also fo her night time sleep also ...

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)