Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Multiple Babyshowers

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM
  • 15 Replies
I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on a babyshower after the first kid.

Some believe every baby should be celebrated.

Some believe only one, no matter how far apart your kids are or genders.

Some believe only if its an opposite gender or more than 5 years apart.

When I found out I was pregnant again (almost 8 years after the first and after I was told I was completely infertile) I was asked when I would be having my baby shower. I said I didn't plan to have one. I don't like the idea of throwing one myself, and I don't have many friends and no family here so nobody to host it. I was told by one woman "I hope you miscarry because you don't deserve this baby!"

Turns out my DH and a friend were planning a surprise shower for me. He asked one of our other friends if she wanted to help and she said "No. That's stupid. You don't have a shower after the first one. If you can't afford to buy your own stuff, abort it" Like, WHOA!!

So now I'm just curious what the general thoughts are. Personally, I would rather do a "meet and greet" BBQ when he is a month or two old and people can bring gifts if they want to. Hubby wants a shower and I'm not set either way so I don't care lol.
by on Oct. 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Element5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2017 at 4:12 PM
I personally had only 1. My boys are 13 months apart so very close. The next child was a girl 8 years later.. so I did not have one and was fine with it. We got what ever we needed ourselves and just had a little get together.. people still brought things and it was very nice. Now with 4th that’s a boy I will not be having it again.

But it’s up to individuals and their bff/family or who ever is throwing a party. It’s what ever one finds norm. I mean I will not be going to anyone’s if they keep on having kids every 2 years or so. To me that’s excessive.
Room2Breathe
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2017 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. When they are close together, especially the same gender, that's kind of crazy. I wouldn't do it, myself, but I don't begrudge anyone who does do it. I wouldn't be having one if it wasn't my DHs idea. I don't even like going to them because I don't like the games and such lol.

Quoting Element5: I personally had only 1. My boys are 13 months apart so very close. The next child was a girl 8 years later.. so I did not have one and was fine with it. We got what ever we needed ourselves and just had a little get together.. people still brought things and it was very nice. Now with 4th that’s a boy I will not be having it again.

But it’s up to individuals and their bff/family or who ever is throwing a party. It’s what ever one finds norm. I mean I will not be going to anyone’s if they keep on having kids every 2 years or so. To me that’s excessive.
Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Oct. 14, 2017 at 9:18 PM
I had one with my son, which was supposed to be my only and now I am pregnant again with a little girl. And I didn't want a shower since it had only been about 2 years since my son, but everyone told me I needed to have one and my friend INSISTED on throwing me one. So mine is next weekend.
K3412
by on Oct. 14, 2017 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
In my friend and family circle, we have baby showers for each baby.
Supportdmoms
by Member on Oct. 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM
It's ur personal choice.i didn't have one for my DD which our first baby. If your husband is insisting tell him that he should not expect others to help him as u said some might just not like it ... Then if he understands that then may be u can have that meet and greet which is a great idea btw but do it after the baby is at least 2 months old and has some vaccination so that he is little bit protected against germs n all ... Take care and enjoy the time with ur new baby ... Congratulations again..
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2017 at 11:28 PM
First, I would get some new friends. Secondly, I would let them plan a lower-key party with gifts optional. I like your idea of a barbeque after the baby is born.
Room2Breathe
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2017 at 3:22 AM
My idea was a BBQ at our fav lake in May. He's due early March so he will be vaccinated by then, at least better than at birth lol My dh comes from a huge family. His mom is the youngest of 11 and they are all close. Tons of cousins lol
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM
You need some new friends. I’ve never heard such nastiness over a baby shower. I had two; my kids were almost 6 years apart and opposite genders. The second one I really didn’t want not because I didn’t believe in it but because I didn’t feel like it lol but my step mil threw it and I was grateful. One idea is to say no gifts and bring a box of diapers to enter a raffle. I went to one like that and it went really well.
Room2Breathe
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM
It was only that one woman and I have seen the same kinds of comments on this site. It's an old school thing of only a shower for the first, but I was just curious what other people thought...lol outside Mom Confessions group

Quoting Khooks: You need some new friends. I’ve never heard such nastiness over a baby shower. I had two; my kids were almost 6 years apart and opposite genders. The second one I really didn’t want not because I didn’t believe in it but because I didn’t feel like it lol but my step mil threw it and I was grateful. One idea is to say no gifts and bring a box of diapers to enter a raffle. I went to one like that and it went really well.
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2017 at 2:58 PM
Yes there are some nasty people on this site but I don’t think they’re real people just trolls hiding on the keyboard lol. Can’t believe someone said that in real life. I wouldn’t put much weight into other people. If they don’t like it then don’t come. Every baby is worth celebrating so however you choose to do that is right.

Quoting Room2Breathe: It was only that one woman and I have seen the same kinds of comments on this site. It's an old school thing of only a shower for the first, but I was just curious what other people thought...lol outside Mom Confessions group

Quoting Khooks: You need some new friends. I’ve never heard such nastiness over a baby shower. I had two; my kids were almost 6 years apart and opposite genders. The second one I really didn’t want not because I didn’t believe in it but because I didn’t feel like it lol but my step mil threw it and I was grateful. One idea is to say no gifts and bring a box of diapers to enter a raffle. I went to one like that and it went really well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)