Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 year old new to milk

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2017 at 9:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

My baby girl just turned 1 and we just started her on whole milk. During the day she will just drink some out of the sippy cup. My doctor said to just keep giving it to her she has to learn to like it. My problem is at night she still wakes up for a bottle and will not drink the milk, I even put it in a bottle so it was easier for her to drink and oh man did she throw a fit. so i still have a little formula so i just made some of that to get her to stop screaming. My question is if i would warm the milk up would she take it better at night and would a bottle warmer work for that? I never warmed up her formula I just used room temperate baby water.

by on Nov. 11, 2017 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Do not give her milk at night--it will cause tooth decay. Your doctor is in error--she does not ever have to learn to like cow's milk. She can eat yogurt, cheese, and other dairy products if she is not allergic, or do without dairy altogether if she can get the equivalent nutrients from other foods. Do some research on nutrition. She can have a sippy cup of water at night after her teeth are brushed. Be sure she is eating adequately during the day, and has a protein-rich snack before bedtime. You can have some yogurt together while you read her a story, then brush her teeth.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 7:23 PM
We don’t drink cows milk. But my kids get all their nutrients without it.
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 1:01 PM
My kids are lactose intolerant but when we were transitioning from formula to almond milk and off of the bottles I started just adding maybe a splash of milk in with the formula and then increasing the ratio up to about 50/50 and then just went to 100%. Luckily I weaned off of nighttime bottles before then so it wasn’t a comfort object for her. It would be worth s try warming the milk to room temp, just be careful about hot spots and the microwave.
AmaliaD
by on Nov. 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM
At 1 she should not be eating during the night but I think a bottle warmer would work. It worked on refrigerated breast milk.
rachel216
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2017 at 5:16 AM
I wouldnt force her to,drink the whole milk. There are alot better options like almound milk and many others even coconut milk has a ton of good fats and vitamins which is,really what they need.
Supportdmoms
by Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM
Hi I faced the same situation 2 months back when my daughter turned 1. I also started giving her whole milk . She never liked bottle so she is been drinking pumped breast milk and water in sippy cup since she was 6 months old. I would say give her sometime to adjust to it. May be start with small amounts during the day . Please dnt give her anything in the middle of the night else she will continue asking for it , saying this from my personal experience. Trust me first 2-3 nights will be very tough but eventually she will get used to it. As someone rightly quoted mid night feed may cause tooth decay and also I feel it's more like comfort feed. Rest u are the best person who knows ur baby so go accordingly.... All the best
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM
Quoting Supportdmoms: Hi I faced the same situation 2 months back when my daughter turned 1. I also started giving her whole milk . She never liked bottle so she is been drinking pumped breast milk and water in sippy cup since she was 6 months old. I would say give her sometime to adjust to it. May be start with small amounts during the day . Please dnt give her anything in the middle of the night else she will continue asking for it , saying this from my personal experience. Trust me first 2-3 nights will be very tough but eventually she will get used to it. As someone rightly quoted mid night feed may cause tooth decay and also I feel it's more like comfort feed. Rest u are the best person who knows ur baby so go accordingly.... All the best

Nursing would still be best if you are able to do so. Nursing does not cause tooth decay the way whole milk does unless there are food particles still in the mouth. There are big surges of antiboidies in breastmilk that occur at 12, 18 and 24 months which provide additional protection for the child.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Supportdmoms
by Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi yes certainly I agree with you. I am still breastfeeding her and supplement her with cow's milk 2 times a day.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting Supportdmoms: Hi I faced the same situation 2 months back when my daughter turned 1. I also started giving her whole milk . She never liked bottle so she is been drinking pumped breast milk and water in sippy cup since she was 6 months old. I would say give her sometime to adjust to it. May be start with small amounts during the day . Please dnt give her anything in the middle of the night else she will continue asking for it , saying this from my personal experience. Trust me first 2-3 nights will be very tough but eventually she will get used to it. As someone rightly quoted mid night feed may cause tooth decay and also I feel it's more like comfort feed. Rest u are the best person who knows ur baby so go accordingly.... All the best

Nursing would still be best if you are able to do so. Nursing does not cause tooth decay the way whole milk does unless there are food particles still in the mouth. There are big surges of antiboidies in breastmilk that occur at 12, 18 and 24 months which provide additional protection for the child.
am23
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 1:46 PM

I have found that if I warm up the milk she will drink it no problem. Now to get her off of the night feeding. thank you all for your help

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 17, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Quoting am23:

I have found that if I warm up the milk she will drink it no problem. Now to get her off of the night feeding. thank you all for your help

Slowly water down the bottles by adding in 1 oz more water every 2-3 days (without adding in more formula). Eventually it will be only water she's drinking at night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)