Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alternate breasts or both at once?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi ladies, my baby is 4 days old, and I'm new to breastfeeding. At this point is it better to do both breasts at one feeding or just one and alternate each feeding? Or is either completely fine?
by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 17, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Let the baby finish one side and come off on their own. Burp. Offer the other side, but if they don't take it, that's ok. At the next feeding, start on the second side first. Some feeding sessions they will take both, and some they won't.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 7:41 AM
What junebaby said. Please come join us in tbe Breastfeeding Moms group!
CheerioHolder
by Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 7:47 AM
I agree with other comments and will add that for myself, I pumped when my son didn't take the other breast. I personally froze and used the pumped milk in bottles later. However even if you ebf you can pump and dump to give yourself releif (mine hurt when he didn't feed) and also to help you produce more milk frequently as baby grows and wants to eat more.

In my opinion breast feeding is trial and error. You do what feels best and works for you and baby.

Good luck! And congratulations on your little one :)
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM
Your body will regulate if you let the baby do it. Pumping makes oversupply worse and you get what you experienced. By the way nursing on demand is the best way to make sure your supply stays up for baby.

Quoting CheerioHolder: I agree with other comments and will add that for myself, I pumped when my son didn't take the other breast. I personally froze and used the pumped milk in bottles later. However even if you ebf you can pump and dump to give yourself releif (mine hurt when he didn't feed) and also to help you produce more milk frequently as baby grows and wants to eat more.

In my opinion breast feeding is trial and error. You do what feels best and works for you and baby.

Good luck! And congratulations on your little one :)
CheerioHolder
by Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Just sharing what worked for me. As I mentioned I also bottle fed though, so that makes a difference as well.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Your body will regulate if you let the baby do it. Pumping makes oversupply worse and you get what you experienced. By the way nursing on demand is the best way to make sure your supply stays up for baby.
Quoting CheerioHolder: I agree with other comments and will add that for myself, I pumped when my son didn't take the other breast. I personally froze and used the pumped milk in bottles later. However even if you ebf you can pump and dump to give yourself releif (mine hurt when he didn't feed) and also to help you produce more milk frequently as baby grows and wants to eat more. In my opinion breast feeding is trial and error. You do what feels best and works for you and baby. Good luck! And congratulations on your little one :)

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM
Offer the second side after nursing until baby unlatches and burps, if baby doesn't take it start with that side next time.

None of my breastfed babies took both in a feeding until they were older. Some babies will, some babies won't, or it can vary throughout the day.

Quoting peachyisthelife: Hi ladies, my baby is 4 days old, and I'm new to breastfeeding. At this point is it better to do both breasts at one feeding or just one and alternate each feeding? Or is either completely fine?
Supportdmoms
by Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Hi this is exactly what I did. 4 days old is really very very young so go as ur baby gives you sign.... Good luck and please give rest to urself too .... U need that too Mama... :-)

Quoting Junebaby18: Let the baby finish one side and come off on their own. Burp. Offer the other side, but if they don't take it, that's ok. At the next feeding, start on the second side first. Some feeding sessions they will take both, and some they won't.
AzariahsMother
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM

I would agree with Junebaby18, but I would say if baby doesn't want the 2nd breast I would pump otherwise that breast could get sore.

Rlmori2010
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 8:13 AM
Can you give me the link to the breastfeeding group... I have a question

Quoting MusherMaggie: What junebaby said. Please come join us in tbe Breastfeeding Moms group!
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Quoting peachyisthelife: Hi ladies, my baby is 4 days old, and I'm new to breastfeeding. At this point is it better to do both breasts at one feeding or just one and alternate each feeding? Or is either completely fine?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)