Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk supply dwindles

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 8:11 AM
  • 22 Replies
So would anyone have an idea why my milk supply is almost non existent in the middle of the night. My baby is 5 weeks old and many times during the night will continuously feed and get angry because literally nothing comes out. I also don’t feel my breasts getting as full as they used to. I lost my supply with my previous child 9 months into BF which caused weight issues and I’m afraid it will happen again..... any advise? I have tried mothers milk and made the breastfeeding cookies and I have talked with a lactation consultant and she wasn’t any help.
by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 1:56 PM
Any supplementing/bottles/pacifiers? How often are you nursing? Tongue/lip ties?

Quoting Rlmori2010: So would anyone have an idea why my milk supply is almost non existent in the middle of the night. My baby is 5 weeks old and many times during the night will continuously feed and get angry because literally nothing comes out. I also don�t feel my breasts getting as full as they used to. I lost my supply with my previous child 9 months into BF which caused weight issues and I�m afraid it will happen again..... any advise? I have tried mothers milk and made the breastfeeding cookies and I have talked with a lactation consultant and she wasn�t any help.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 2:01 PM
He wants every hour sometimes 2 during the day and at night every 2 hours. But when I don’t have milk in the middle of the night he will continue to nurse for 3 hours on and off every 15 min.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: Any supplementing/bottles/pacifiers? How often are you nursing? Tongue/lip ties?
Quoting Rlmori2010: So would anyone have an idea why my milk supply is almost non existent in the middle of the night. My baby is 5 weeks old and many times during the night will continuously feed and get angry because literally nothing comes out. I also don�t feel my breasts getting as full as they used to. I lost my supply with my previous child 9 months into BF which caused weight issues and I�m afraid it will happen again..... any advise? I have tried mothers milk and made the breastfeeding cookies and I have talked with a lactation consultant and she wasn�t any help.
djsmommy13
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 2:04 PM
What makes you think he isn't getting anything? He might be going through a growth spurt. He could be getting angry becvause of multiple things, like milk is coming out too fast or not fast enough , or he just wants comfort not actually food
Rlmori2010
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM
Because he will be on for so long. I have also tried to hand express and pump at night and get nothing

Quoting djsmommy13: What makes you think he isn't getting anything? He might be going through a growth spurt. He could be getting angry becvause of multiple things, like milk is coming out too fast or not fast enough , or he just wants comfort not actually food
djsmommy13
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:14 PM
Could just be a comfort thing. Not everyone reacts to a pump. How are his wet diaper counts? What position are u in when feeding him at night?

Quoting Rlmori2010: Because he will be on for so long. I have also tried to hand express and pump at night and get nothing

Quoting djsmommy13: What makes you think he isn't getting anything? He might be going through a growth spurt. He could be getting angry becvause of multiple things, like milk is coming out too fast or not fast enough , or he just wants comfort not actually food
Rlmori2010
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:17 PM
No issue with diapers or anything and I either lay next to him and feed or he likes to lay on me while feeding. Drs and the lactation consultant aren’t concerned I’m just afraid my supply will dry up like with my last child.

Quoting djsmommy13: Could just be a comfort thing. Not everyone reacts to a pump. How are his wet diaper counts? What position are u in when feeding him at night?

Quoting Rlmori2010: Because he will be on for so long. I have also tried to hand express and pump at night and get nothing

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM
Sounds like normal breastfeeding behavior for the most part, there's a major growth spurt at 5/6 weeks. My breastfed babies pretty much lived on the boob the first 6-8 weeks. How is diaper output? Does baby seem to be gaining?

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/frequent-nursing/

Quoting Rlmori2010: He wants every hour sometimes 2 during the day and at night every 2 hours. But when I don’t have milk in the middle of the night he will continue to nurse for 3 hours on and off every 15 min.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: Any supplementing/bottles/pacifiers? How often are you nursing? Tongue/lip ties?
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM
Also pumping/hand expressing isn't possible for many women but their supply is fine.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM
Oh yeah. He is actually getting more milk then normal babies. The lactation consultant said he is getting 3x the amount of milk he needs.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: Sounds like normal breastfeeding behavior for the most part, there's a major growth spurt at 5/6 weeks. My breastfed babies pretty much lived on the boob the first 6-8 weeks. How is diaper output? Does baby seem to be gaining?

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/frequent-nursing/

Quoting Rlmori2010: He wants every hour sometimes 2 during the day and at night every 2 hours. But when I don’t have milk in the middle of the night he will continue to nurse for 3 hours on and off every 15 min.

djsmommy13
by Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM
Seems fine then. He's probably just going through a growth spurt. Stressing about it can make it worse not help. If his diaper count is fine and he's not losing weight then he's fine

Quoting Rlmori2010: No issue with diapers or anything and I either lay next to him and feed or he likes to lay on me while feeding. Drs and the lactation consultant aren’t concerned I’m just afraid my supply will dry up like with my last child.

Quoting djsmommy13: Could just be a comfort thing. Not everyone reacts to a pump. How are his wet diaper counts? What position are u in when feeding him at night?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)