Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constipation

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 5:20 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

DS is 7 months. We started introducing solids 6 weeks ago. Last week, DS got extremely constipated, to the point of vomitting everything he ate. We had to give him the medicated powder for a few days, then his nurse said to start giving him pear or apple juice, once a day, every day. However, he will not drink it. We've tried everything. We water it down, we try giving it to him straight, in his bottle, in a sippy cup. He just does not like to drink it. We have been adding it to his food but it does not help as much as when he drinks it straight. Anyone have any suggestions? I really hate to have to keep giving him the medicated powder. We also tried the prune concentrate in the syringe. He spits it back up 75% of the time.

Edit: The probiotics seem to be doing the trick. He has not been constipated since we started incorporating them.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.  

by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GAPeach83
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

When my baby was constipated, I put a little castor oil in his bottle with milk.  Next diaper was a poop diaper.  Castor oil is an old school method...only a drop is needed.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I would delay solids, doesn't seem like his gut is ready. What are you feeding him?
Sophie1106
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby is 7 months and she was also getting constipated with solids. Not to the point of throwing up though. I didn't give her juice but I only gave her some pears or peaches for a few days and then she started pooping normal again. I was giving her solids twice a day but for now we have just been giving her a little bit at dinner time.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
He is clearly not ready
For solids. Juice is recommended anymore anyways.
GloBug62
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Just a few tablespoons of baby food at lunch. We actually stopped feeding him foods for over a week. His constipation really didn’t change.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: I would delay solids, doesn't seem like his gut is ready. What are you feeding him?
GloBug62
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We have been doing pears too.

Quoting Sophie1106: My baby is 7 months and she was also getting constipated with solids. Not to the point of throwing up though. I didn't give her juice but I only gave her some pears or peaches for a few days and then she started pooping normal again. I was giving her solids twice a day but for now we have just been giving her a little bit at dinner time.
GloBug62
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Well his Dr doesn’t think it’s necessary to stop solids all together. We did reduce them though. The juice works when he will actually drink it.

Quoting Mom2Just1: He is clearly not ready
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Is he breastfed or formula fed? What kinds of baby food?

Quoting GloBug62: Just a few tablespoons of baby food at lunch. We actually stopped feeding him foods for over a week. His constipation really didn’t change.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: I would delay solids, doesn't seem like his gut is ready. What are you feeding him?
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Aap guidelines say differently. Sounds like your dr is not aap board certified. Anyways, clearly he is not ready for solids. He is still young to have solids anyways. They’re not even necessary before a year. I would eliminate them and nurse him through it. Edit- if you bottle-feed that can work as well.

Quoting GloBug62: Well his Dr doesn’t think it’s necessary to stop solids all together. We did reduce them though. The juice works when he will actually drink it.

Quoting Mom2Just1: He is clearly not ready
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
This is also not necessary

Quoting GAPeach83:

When my baby was constipated, I put a little castor oil in his bottle with milk.  Next diaper was a poop diaper.  Castor oil is an old school method...only a drop is needed.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)