Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

deafness

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM
  • 3 Replies

has anybody had to deal with learning asl??  it is so hard why would my 18 mth old run around and screem all the time i have headaches all the time b/c of that

by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Live4HerSmile
by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:28 AM

I know some ASL, we use a few signs like "finished" when we say "all done!" at the end of a meal, or when the microwave dings..."water" and "duck" during bath time...If it's 'fun' for them, they do better with it...But DH is 7 months old and doesn't have any hearing problems, I'm sure that makes it much harder...

annettenikole
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM

It's hard to learn ASL... but if you try to get as much as you can, take a class, find people in the deaf community to help you.  I know some ASL, I'm just re-learning some because I sign with my baby, but babies pick up signs very quickly if they are exposed on a regular basis.  I think a year is when my friend's little girl started taking off and learning tons of signs.  Mines only 11 months, but signs milk, more, all done... and she did copy my sign for fish the other, but hasn't actually used it.

I'm assume your son has hearing problems?  I would suggest devoring as much signing as you can and teaching basic signs to your son every day!  If you point to something and sign it each time you use it, he will pick up quickly.  If you haven't taken a class on ASL I think that's a good first step, but also, you can look up signs on the internet if you don't know one... just google ASL dictionary.  We use the Signing Time DVDs with my dd... they are fun for her and teach basic signs.

good luck

Blue_Spiral
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:53 AM

I am glad my son can hear, but I would love to be "forced" to learn ASL.

I know a woman who went to school for it, as well as a deaf mom and she reads lips well but I tend to mumble and it would be nice if I could just sign for her because she seems to have more trouble reading my lips than anyone else no matter how hard I try lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)