Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How should I deal with her teething?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

I'm only 19 and this is my first child.  She is in the beginning stages of teething and at night she gets really fussy and the only way I can calm her is to put her in her crib and give her a bottle.  I need advice badly, because I just don't know what to really do.

by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blogginmomma
by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Depending on your parenting style and beliefs you can give her some tylenol to help take the edge off and make it easier to sleep, or try baby anbesol and rub it on her gums to help numb them.

samaloho
by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Tylenol and baby orajel are great and also try teethng tablets, I was skeptical about them but I tried them and they worked so well with my kids.  They are sold at Walgreens and other drugstores in the baby aisle.  teething is tough though there isn't much you can do but comfort them and try to ease the pain... you will both survive though so keep the faith!

newmommymay08
by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 11:01 PM

My daughter is going through the teething stage also right now.  I have found out that baby oragel is our new best friend.  I bought some at Target, we bought baby oragel for day and one for night time.  She also loves being held to feel the comfort.  That helps her fall to sleep easier.  Good Luck! Write on my wall if you need anymore help!

annettenikole
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 12:45 AM

it depends on your baby, but just know that it's always tough!  I agree with the ideas... my baby only had infant tylenol for teething... tablets were useless, oragel just numbed her tounge and pissed her off when she couldn't nurse.  But she will probably wake up more now.  During the day my little one loved teethers (cold ones where great, but she had a teething pasifier too) and she chewed on ice in one of those self feeding bag thingys... that was great!

NomexCowgirl
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 3:28 AM

Hyland's teething tablets and Tylenol are the only things that work for my daughter. You can find the tablets at WalMart and they are homeopathic so no worries about chemicals going into baby. I also bought one of those little bottles used to give babies medicine and it works like a charm every time!  She quiets down within about 15 minutes.  I also use those little feeding bags with ice.  They're are the greatest for teething.  My daughter is 23 months now and she will go get it out of the drawer and bring it me when she is teething or just wants something cold. 

frndlyfn
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:07 AM

for our daughter we didnt like the baby orajel only made her more upset so we went to Little remedies brand and it is called Little teethers oral pain relief gel, the package sometimes comes with a free teether. we also use Gentle naturals homeopathic teething drops in coordination with the tylenol. DD is 2 and 1/2 and will bring me the gel when she needs it. Good luck.

gencat2002
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM

Be careful with too much tylenol... I don't mean like an over dose but giving tylenol daily can ruin your childs liver when they get older and it will become ineffective. My son is teething really early. He's only 4 months and started at 3 1/2. I'm also 19 and he is my first child. There is one ring that he will chew on but if it gets really bad we do give him orajel (also becareful with the amount because it will also numb the gag reflex and he can choke on his own spit) rub it in as well as possible. They also have a nightime orajel.

Genelle Andrews

Passion Party Consultant

www.genelle.yourpassionconsultant.com

tajehra
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Motrin, tylenol, those baby teething rings with the water in them  you can put in the fridge to get cool. A wet washcloth she can just chew on - that is my daughters favorite! Also orajel! Teething is just so painful alot of holding and loving helps also.

bvw116
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Mine are also teething!  they like a frozen washcloth or cold teething toys from the fridge.  Be careful with the teething tablets - they have a derivative of caffiene and belladonna in them.  I also use the Little Teethers- Baby Oragel has too much coloring in it for me.  Tylenol sometimes in the day and Motrin at night.  They also want thier pacifiers much much more.  I tried putting an ice cube in the washcloth, but they dont like that.  Just experiment - I know how hard it is when you know your child is in pain!  Hang in there!!

mrs_k_sarnik
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM

My son is getting his first tooth and it's been rough. We use Orajel (day and night) and Tylenol when he gets a fever. The only hard part has been that he won't nap during the day. For him to nap he either has to be in the car (getting exspensive lol)  or I have to rock him and he has to suck on his sippie cup. But the Orajel makes a big difference. He's able to sleep through the night when he gets it. Hope it helps.

in loveWife to David baby boyMommy to Jayden

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN