Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How should I deal with her teething?

I'm only 19 and this is my first child.  She is in the beginning stages of teething and at night she gets really fussy and the only way I can calm her is to put her in her crib and give her a bottle.  I need advice badly, because I just don't know what to really do.

by on Aug. 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Replies (11-19):
brodysmommy0320
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

My son is going through the same.  He has been teethng for a while.  Tetthing gel is great!  Just put some on when you lay him down and maybe give him his pacifier.  If you use one.  I noticed that he likes to naw on it as he is soothing himself. 

MamaScorpio88
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM
Put some Jack Daniels or whiskey on her gums. It numbs them and helps make it softer for them to break through.

Admin

DonnaAvila
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Hi,

I have a soon to be 3 year old on Saturday and I have already done most of the teething.  I tried orajel and all the baby items to put on the gums.  My son didn't like the taste and it would get hard to put it on his gums.  What seemed to work best was his pediatrician recommended Teething tablets.  You can find them in the baby section  in most stores like Walmart, Babies R US by the bottles and the orajel etc.  He really liked them they are small and disolve quickly under the tongue.  He got so much relieve instantly.  It helps with the inflammation etc.  His pediatrican also recommended the liquid filled teething rings and put them in the freezer for a minute or two until they get really good and cold and let them chew on it.  And if they are eating solid food she recommended pretzel sticks or bread sticks or the teething biscuits you can buy in the baby section of most stores.  Hope this helps.

MommyC419
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM

You can alternate between Tylenol and Motrin which I found works best.  We give Tylenol about 2 hours before bedtime and then Motrin at bedtime, helps her to sleep longer.  Also a washcloth in the freezer or teether from the fridge.  I've also tried freezing one of her pacifiers which seemed to help.  I try to back off with the Tylenol and Motrin during the day and use the teethers or freeze pops.  Good luck!

starrmom88
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM

this is my first child too and she is going through the same thing! i find teething rings that was left in the freezer works. sometimes i even give her a popsicle and she calms her down really quickly! i tried ore-gel but it did nothing and i try to stay away from medications but if you stay calm and talk in a calm voice and don't get frustrated you can get through this.

Kid4Christ211
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 10:20 PM

First of all, do what you feel most comfortable with. These are some suggestions: Tylenol, teething pills, teething rings, & freeze pacifiers.

rlehte
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM

I give my son tylenol and if that doesn't seem to help, there is a medicine called teething tablets, and you can get them at any pharmacy, I just put one under his tongue and he relaxes because its an automatic relief and it sticks with him longer then oragel does.

Bugsey82
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I swear by Hyland's teething tablets I used them on my first son and my friend used baby oragel and my son had his teeth twice as fast I leaarned later theat the baby oragel can actuly PROLONG the teething process so I dont use it inless its like 2 am and he is SCREAMING and I cant think other then that its Hyland's teething tablets all the way for my younger son.

sophymom
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Good evening! Well, my 15 month old daughter is teething again but this is the worst I've seen it!  I was wonder how do you handle the other symptoms?  My little mouse gets serious diarrhea along with the teething.  I actually put ice cubes in the little mesh fruit baggies so she can chew on.  She seems to like it and it's good that she can't open the little mesh baggie.  I heard that this is just another phase and it too shall pass!   

Gracie (sophie's mom!)nerdy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)