Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Share your birth story!

Posted by   + Show Post

Taylor was breech during the entire pregnancy.  Her due date was 6/18/07, so we had a c-section scheduled for 6/11/07.  We figured since we had a date scheduled and I was not dialating or anything like that we could relax.  On June 2, I was 37 almost 38 weeks.  I had a babyshower that day.  I definately was "nesting" because after the shower, I came home and unpacked EVERYTHING, washed it, and put it away.  Mind you, I had a HUGE shower-2 truck loads of stuff!!!  Well, I was a medical assistant to my ob, and knew a lot about labor signs, ect...  I got home from the shower at 5pm.  At about 10pm, I started leaking a little bit of fluid.  I thought I was just peeing on myself a little bit, and didn't want to page my boss that late unless I was sure my water was breaking.  Well, I kept on having the "leaking" over the next couple of hours.  Just a little here and there.  I decided to go ahead and go to bed, since I wasn't contracting, and was sure it was pee.  (lol)  Before going to sleep I prayed, "God, if it's really time please give me a sign if I need to go to labor and delivery."  At 1:15 am, I woke up, rolled over to go pee, and the flood gates opened.  My water had definately broken!  I went to the living room where my husband was sleeping, fluid pouring out of me onto our wood floor, and said, "hey baby, my water broke."  By then my pomeranian, chewy, had come up and started lapping up the amniotic fluid off the floor.  I couldn't get her to quit.  I was freaking out, saying "NO CHEWY!  QUIT!"

We ran around like chickens with our heads cut off and grabbed the cell phones, chargers, my purse, some towels and left.  We had no bag packed.  By then I had started contracting and my husband drove 90mph to the hospital. My doctor wasn't on call.  The other doctor in the clinic I worked at was the doc on for that night, and we HATED eachother.  The staff at the hospital wouldn't page my doc since she wasn't on call, so I called her cell.  She graciously got out of bed and delivered Taylor by c/s at 3:45 am!

by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Danesmommy1
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I was in with my nurse midwife for my regular weekly checkup.  It was 2 days before my due date.  Well, she accidentally broke my water.  It was a mess!  So, off the hospital with me!  That was 10am on a Monday.  Dane wasn't born until after 6pm on Teusday.  They started me on pictocin and I failed to progress and failed to progress, so they stopped it and let me rest for about 2 hours.  They started it up again and I went from a 2 to 8 in about 45 minutes!  That really hurt!!  My epidural failed, so they tried it again and it didn't work then either.  I felt so trapped and overwhelmed.  I pushed for about FOUR HOURS!  I thought I was gonna die!  I was in a complete panic. 

Finally, Dane came and he was taken to the NICU.  He was there for 5 days.  He had some complications from being in there so long without the bag of waters.  He had some breathing problems, needed antibiotics, then he had trouble with his suck reflex. 

I was a mess, all I did was cry for 5 days.  Finally, he was out of the NICU and I got to keep him with me in my room at the hospital.  The next day, we got to go home.  he prefectly healthy and happy now!

I had some problems with the epidural.  My left leg was completely dead for over a week.  I couldn't walk at all.  Bit by bit, over the next 2 months or so, feeling came back and I was able to walk on it.  It was a nightmare in the hospital.  I had to be pushed around in the wheelchair the whole time. 

Elke

kira_5105
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 2:55 PM

My first birth was induced but the labor was only a few hours, I was 17 though so I gave her up for adoption. She's with a great couple.

My second birth was of my daughter Julie. My bf Jason, her dad, and I were living in my moms house. The night of Jan. 20th, I woke up at exactly 2:00am and ran to the bathroom 'cuz I thought I had to pee but actually my water broke. I went back, leaned on the wall a second for a contraction, he asked what was wrong and I said "it's time". I had litterally never seen him move that fast before, it's still funny to look back on. He didn't say a word though, just put on his clothes, so I said "ok, I'LL go tell my mom". The contractions hurt but what was worse was the pain in my legs, the contractions were close together allready so I didn't get much of a break either. When I told my mom it was time she said "ok, stay calm, take a shower, walk a little bit" as if I had hours. I actually laughed despite all my pain and said "um no, the contractions are minutes apart." She got up. Jason drove and I can remember thinking "this is the moment we're going to be talking about for the rest of our lives" but I don't remember anything that was said while in the car except that I often called out "epidural!" After only about 3 hours of labor Julie Elizabeth was born at 5:17 the day before her due date.

My son was even faster. I was laying down to go to bed at midnight and my hips started hurting, they had hurt some before though so I tried doing what I did then and layed on my side. It didn't help. The pain got worse fast and I could literally feel my hips moving apart. I tried to walk it off and tried different sitting positions but the pain in my hips and thighs was so intense I just sat crippled on the floor. I told my bf, still Jason, that I had to go to the hospital. At that time we only had this old, rusty, dirty truck so I held Julie, 18 mo., on my lap while he drove. Through all the pain though I could feel the baby's head starting to push down and I prayed aloud "please don't let me have the baby in the truck" over and over the whole way. God gave me what I wanted, we got to the hospital and as I walked in my water broke and I dropped into the first seat I saw which was fortunately a wheelchair. The ER guy ran me into a prep room, that's all they had that night, but the nurses seemed to think I had hours so when they finally looked everything sped up ten fold. With Jason holding Julie next to me I screemed a screem I had never heard myself make before and the baby slid out real fast. It was the slimiest, wierdest thing I've ever felt. Little Andrew Tyler was born after only 45 minutes of labor 2 days before his due date.

Everyone says with this next baby I should just rent a room a week before it's due.

mommy2aka
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 3:30 PM

PG & L&D were a piece of cake!  It was the easiest thing I've ever done!  It was the GETTING PG that we had a problem with...

I have PCOS so we needed some help.  Aubrey was conceived with clomid 150mg PO & IUI.  But we hit it on the 1st try!!!  I got a +HPT 10DPIUI.  Than my blood work confirmed it at days 11 & 13.  So we knew EARLY that we were PG.  That made the pregnancy seem like FOREVER!!!  But we had no major problems & everything progressed right on schedule.  I did suffer from horrible GERD.  But that resolved the second I delivered. 

At 36w, OB gave his final word -- scheduled C-Section!  Woo Hoo!!!! I was sooooo glad.  The baby's head was too big for my pelvis.  Actually, her head wasn't even engaged.  Her head was in front of my pelvis.  So, at 39w, exactly (4/30/08), I checked into my room at 5:45a.  No contractions, No labor pains, No pushing.  By 6a, I was in a gown, in my bed, I had my IV, & was on a fetal monitor.  At 6:30a, I was taken to L&D OR holding.  I met with L&D OR team, anesthesia, & my OB.  They went over everything.  I signed consent.  DH put on his OR suit.  By 7:25a I was in position for my spinal.  7:30a, I was numb from the nippleline down & my foley was placed.  The first cut was made at 7:40a.  Aubrey was born at 7:49a.  Her 1 min APGAR was 9.  Her 5 min APGAR was 10.  I heard her cry.  I got to see her & touch her.  Than off to the nursery she went with a proud & giddy dad in tow.  I gave the CRNA a thumbs up & off to sleep I went (versed is a wonderful thing).  I woke up in recovery at 8:15a.  Had mild nausea (probably b/c I was so darn hungry!!!).  Got some phenergan (another great drug) & took a little nap.  I woke up at 9:15a & they took me to my post-partum room, which was the room I had checked into that morning.  It was nice b/c DH didn't have to move our stuff.  I had Aubrey in my arms by 9:20a.  I was in & out of sleep the rest of that day.  I wasn't allowed out of bed. I was allowed to eat real food.  On 5/1 at 5a, they took my foley out.  I got out of bed and DH helped me w/ a sponge bath (as I sat on the toilet.  not my proudest moment!).  I then put my head in the sink & washed me hair (I can't stand to have dirty hair).  I put on my own PJs & hit the halls.  I walked quite a bit over the next 3 days.  On Sat, they took out my staples & sent us home.  I only took percocet 2-3 times throughout the day while in the hospital.  I hardly took it at all once I got home. 

By the following weekend (Aubrey was 10 days old), we were out to lunch & shopping.  I was allowed to drive @ 2w post C-S & back to work at 8w post C-S.  But I took the full 12 weeks of maternity leave.  I was given the green light for sex at 8w post C-S although I really wasn't interested.  Ha ha ha!  All in all it was a great and uneventful experience.  The only thing NOBODY warned me about was engorgement.  I didn't breast feed so I had no way to get relief.  My boobs were HUGE (I started out as a 32A), sore (worse than my incision pain)  & Vein-y (GROSS).  Luckily, that went away after about 7 days.  I just wish I had been prepared for THAT!!!

NIC
Wife to Paul
Mom to Aubrey, Ace and Olive
Nurse to everyone

MissyKitty29
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 4:01 PM

so when i was 9mos prego wih my last daughter my hubby was in iraq.he was suppost to be home for R&R on april 9th 08 but did not come home till the 7th thanx to sand storms.. well we spent that day with our other 2 children and went to the park and whatnot.. so the next day was our annaversery (lol)  and we got the kids down for a late nap around 3pm and we decided to "play" hehehe (shut up guys he had been gone for 5 months!)  so afew mins into doing so i screamed and he knew right then what happened! he jumped off of me and said OH CRAP! lol so i got up and called the babysiter to come get our older two.. she showed up and i wanted to shower before we left (he had to help me) so i got out, got dressed and then went out to get my brush out of my van and yelled at my neighbor since she had told me all day i would have her on our anaversery! lol. so we got to the hospital and they adimited me to LD&R. i then learned that my doctor had DEPLOYED THAT MORNING!!!!!!! WTF!!!! iwanted to cry!  so at about 6pm i got all my fun stuff hooked up and was crying and apoligizing to my hubby for making us have to spend our annaversery in the hosital!  at about 2am they broke my water at 4cm. and gave me an epadural and hour laer (I LOVED THAT WOMEN ALOT!!!) lol  btw army drugs are great!  so for the next few hours i didnt feel ANYTHING and was convinced my doctor was Mr Clean (in my defence he really dose look like him)  and sat there and talked but none of it made since cause i was so druged up from my epadural! so at about 11am i could tell she had slid down and was crowning!  so i told the nurse who didnt even leave the room she opened the door and yelled for the doctor! Dr Y got their just in time 2 pushes and she was out at 11:27am. Kaydence Maddison weighed 9lbs8oz and was 20 1/2 inches she had a head full of brown hair and is the sweetest baby alive. we call her our baby piggy though she is 4 1/2 months and now weighs 20lbs!

This is her a few hours old...

And this is her now...Yesterday to be exact! lol

kerrylexi
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Here is my story or as much as I remember! Lol This is my first pregnancy and it was exciting and a little unerving at the same time. I had gone 10 years with my husband and never got pregnant so our daughter was a wonderful surprise! I didn't have any morning sickness at all and had a relatively easy pregnancy, only that at the end it kinda seemed unending because she was at a -1 station for about 2 weeks and that made moving really difficult! My due date was May 11th but on April 26th I was having intense Braxton Hicks contractions all day and by 3 am I decided to take a bath and after that the real contractions started. Around 7 I woke my husband up and told him we had to go to the hospital and he was completley bewildered! Iw as having back labor so the drive in was a bit unbearable. When we got there they checked me and I was 2-3 but I had high blood pressure so they had me stay in the triage room and ran some tests. An hour later they checked me and I was 3-4 but they also said I had preeclampsia so I was admitted. I had an epidural right away! It was a god send. They had to give me pitocin because the magnesium they give for the preeclampsia stops contractions. I don't really remember too much of the day cause I was so tired. Around 1 I was 6 cm and they broke my water and then at 12 am on the 27th they said I was fully dialated and ready to push! I started puching at 12:10 and she was born at 12:49 am. She was 5 lbs 14 ounces and 18 1/2 inches long with tons of hair which explains the heartburn! It was overall a great experience. I only caution woman who have preeclampsia to take it easy when you go home because your body still has the pregnancy hormones for 2 weeks and the preeclampsia can come back as it did with me and I was back in the hospital the following weekend for another treatment and my daughter had to stay at home. My tip off sign that something wasn't right was the worlds worse headache. If you feel anythign abnormal PLEASE go in and be checked.

thisloveofmine
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Damn... he should NOT have been driving like that! I understand that you were in labor but going 90 on a late Friday night? Not a good idea! There are crazies out then, drunk drivers... you could have easily been pulled over too, or gotten in a wreck. I mean he should never drive that way with his wife in the car, esp while pregnant with his baby! I hope he doesn't drive like that with your child in the car anymore. lol sorry I am SUCH a worrywart when it comes to driving! Great story though! And this is the best post I've seen on cafemom!

Well I was 41 weeks pregnant and still no baby so I got induced. Woke up at 5 and drove 45 minutes away to the hospital to be there by 6. No dilation. By 8 I was getting antsy because they still hadn't put the pitocin in me! They said they were waiting for my doctor. Well they started at 10 and nothing happened until 11. My water broke, boy was that weird! Then my doctor finally showed up. Soon after my water broke I started having hardcore contractions. They were horrible the whole time. They didn't get any worse, I think they just stayed a 10 the whole way through! They would last a minute and come every 90 seconds. At two I just couldn't handle it anymore. I was trying to soldier it out and not get an epidural. I told the nurses not to pester me about but they did. They were constantly telling me I should get it and then when I starting thinking maybe I should they started reminding me about first time moms being in labor for 24hours+ and being induced can make it last longer to so I was like oh hell no! I finally gave in, thank God right? Well my mom told them they should check me first. (oh by the way I had a nurse in training checking my dilation the whole time and she did not know what she was doing!! ER) My mom said, isn't she not suppose to get it after she's a 6? The last time they had checked was 12 and I had been a two or three, they just ignored my mom and thought I wouldn't be dilated very much but I WAS because I was having major contractions. Well anyways, once I was almost completely numb I turned to my mom and told her I thought I had to poop! I was so embarrassed! Well she MADE them check me and he was crowning!! So at 2:40 I had by beautiful baby boy! They tried to pull this big mirror down from the ceiling, EW HELL NO! My man watched, gross. After I had him and went to the bathroom I was still super numb on one side and thought I was okay on the toilet. In the middle of peeing I fell over! I was so embarrassed again. My baby weighed 8lbs 10 oz. It was an overall pretty good experience though I guess. The hospital and staff were amazing. (minus that one nurse in training)

weddingbaby boy

LEB28
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 5:15 PM

My birth story was really pretty eventful and would take forever to type, but I have an online scrapblog with pictures and all.  If you click on the link and then click down at the bottom to view full screen you can read our story.  There is an arrow down at the bottom right of the page to click to move to the next page.

http://www.everybabyhasastory.com/View.aspx?ProfileID=1580

lanieve23
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I was pregant for the second time with my son, About 7:ooP.M. I had early phase contractions, But as the night went on I was haveing hard and fast paiins, I was on the floor!!!! We called everyone to see if I was in Labor, My mother in law came over and picked up my daughter, By 10:30P.M. It was time to go, I walked out with out shoes, Jacket or a bag. I almost had my son in the truck, but we got the hospital, I had no time for an epidural, After Fiveminutes of being there, we had our son!!!

kiri_my_baby
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 7:10 PM

I was 32 weeks along on June 26th I went to my ob and told her I was having contrations. She told me that I was probably having braxson hicks and told me to drink lots of water. She didnt even check to see if I was dialated. Well late at night the contractions were getting stronger and more closer. So, at around 11pm My mom, dad and boyfriend took me to labor and delivery. Then, I was waiting in the waiting room to get seen and at 12:30am i was seen. The doctor checked me and told me i was fully dialated and then he broke my waters and about 20 minutes later my baby girl was born.

LuLuMagoo2
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM

My pregnancy started out fine but at 18 weeks I went in for an ultrasound and they found that the membrane was already coming down. I was rushed to the hospital and I had to have a cerclage. That is where they sew the cervix closed. I was put on bedrest, I could only get up to go to the bathroom or to get something to eat. I had to change to a high risk ob/gyn. My reg. ob/gyn gave me a wonderful one. I had a friend that would come over once a week to give me a Progesterone shot. I also developed gestational diabetes and had to give myself insulin. Yeah more shots!! I also had borderline high blood pressure.  At around 28 weeks my blood pressure started going a little higher so my doctor put me in the hospital to give me steroids. On Christmas Eve I had a mucusy discharge and called the doctor. I ended up going into the hospital and found out I was having contractions every 2 to 4 minutes. I had no clue. I just thought that my baby girl was moving around. They put me on magnesium to stop the contractions but it really didn't work. Three days later on the 27 th the doctor had decided that he was going to give me a pump with some medication and I would get to go home. The contractions were still real light. My husband had to go into work and so my mom was going to go home and do a few things then come back to get me when I was released. It didn't happen. I started to bleed and they did an emergency c -section. My husband made it back to the hospital in time to hear our daughter cry as he was coming through the door of the OR . At 30 weeks and 3 days she was 9 1/2 weeks early. Alina Elizabeth weighed 3 lbs 5 1/2 ozs and was 18 inches long. She stayed in the nicu for 23 days. She came home weighing 3 lbs 15 ozs. now she's a happy ,healthy 2 1/2 year old.     

My son's birth wasn't quite as eventful. I still had a cerclage with him just earlier so I wasn't on bed rest just limited  no stairs with laundry baskets no vaccuum darn! I still developed gestational diabetes and borderline high blood pressure. However because of the bleeding with my daughter ( they found a big blood clot) I had an additional blood test which revealed that I had a blood clotting gene mutation called methyltetrahydrofolatereductase or MTHFR for short. So I had to have blood thinners. Yes even more shots. By the end of the pregnancy I was getting about 22 shots a week woohoo! We decided to deliver my son 4 weeks early due to blood pressure getting higher. He weighed in at 6 lbs 2 ozs and 19 inches long  and 1 year and 3 days after his sisters birth. Allan now follows Alina in everything she does. They are a handful but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)