Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was wondering to all of you ladies who have a one year old...how often during the day do you feed them? I feed my daughter every 4-5 hrs. Is that too much or is that ok?

by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
imtheonlysane1
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Well for me it seemed like when my kids were 1 they were ALWAYS hungry. So while making sure they are getting enough to eat you also want to make sure they are not eating to much which is very hard to do. At that age I gave my kids Breafast Lunch and Dinner then had little healthy snacks for them to eat throughout the day. It is not healthy for them to eat all day though. Usually after about 2 hours of being up and having breakfast they were ready for a snack and about 2 hours after Lunch as well.  They go through so many growth spurts at that age that really it is hard to know when they are eating because of hunger and eating just to eat. I would not say you are feeding her to much though. Just feed her the normal times and offer healthy snacks and everything will be fine.

frndlyfn
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM

my way of thinking is as long as the foods are healthy 4-5 hrs is fine unless dr tells you otherwise. I am sure your daughter burns off most of the calories playing and exploring. She will let you know she isnt hungry by pushing the food away or throwing it. I try to offer breakfast , lunch and dinner with a snack in morning and a snack at night.

frndlyfn
by on Aug. 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM

OK so i found this in babycenter.com....... it didnt say how often but it gave portions sizes.

Signs of readiness for self-feeding
• Can start to use a spoon himself (though proficiency will take a while!)
What to feed
• Whole milk
• Other dairy (soft pasteurized cheese, full-fat yogurt and cottage cheese)
• Same food as family, mashed or chopped into bite-size pieces
• Iron-fortified cereals (rice, barley, wheat, oats, mixed cereals)
• Other grains (whole wheat bread, pasta, rice)
• New fruits: melon, papaya, apricot, grapefruit (citrus is now okay)
• New vegetables: broccoli and cauliflower "trees"
• Protein (eggs; cut-up or ground meat, poultry, boneless fish; tofu; beans; thinly spread smooth peanut butter)
• Citrus and non-citrus juice
• Honey is now okay
How much per day
• 2 to 3 servings dairy (1 serving = ½ cup milk, ½ to 1 oz. cheese, 1/3 to ½ cup yogurt or cottage cheese)
• 4 to 6 servings cereals and other grains (1 serving = ¼ to 1/3 cup cereal, ¼ cup pasta or rice, ¼ to ½ slice bread or bagel)
• ¼ to ½ cup fruit
• ¼ to ½ cup vegetables
• 2 servings protein (1 serving = 2 tablespoons ground or two 1-inch cubes meat, poultry, or fish; 1 egg; ¼ cup tofu or cooked beans; 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter)
• 3 to 4 oz. juice
Feeding tips
• Introduce new foods one at a time, with at least three days in between to make sure your child's not allergic.
• Choking hazards are still a danger. Learn more about foods to watch out for.

Hope this helps a little.

kimosgirl08
by on Aug. 26, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Thanks ladies..that helped alot and eased my mind of fearing that i was over feeding her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)