Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spitting up...

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have a 5 1/2 month old boy and he spits up A LOT.  Yesterday, I had to change his clothes 5 times.  I was so frustrated.  I have to wash his bibs everyday, he goes through them all!  Every time he burps he spits up.  He burps a lot, and not just when he's done feeding.  The ped. said that as long as he's not vomiting he's ok.  (When it's spit up it's just really milky, when it's vomit it has that stomach acid pukey smell.)  I've noticed when I give him the rice cereal less comes up when he burps.  Is it because it's thicker?  I'm just so over having to change him and wipe him down!

Elke

by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Have you talked to your dr about son possibly having reflux? that is what it sounds like to me, spittin up after every meal and the rice cereal helping.

delanae
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 4:15 PM

My son was having that problem then I switched him to soy formula now he never spits up

Photobucket

skylersmom520
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 7:57 PM

We are having the same issue with our 3 month old son and as of last night we changed him over to the reduced spit up formula and so far he is spitting up the same but the formula is so thick it gets stuck in the hole of the nipple making it a very frustrating feeding.

We might try the soy milk eventually if he keeps spitting up so much.

ashley.hodges
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM

My girls spit up a lot too.  I've been told that the spit up almost stops at around 6 months so maybe it will just fix itself in a few more weeks.  If not, I would definitely talk to the dr again because it may be acid reflux or something like that.

parkersmama08
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 8:48 PM

My baby did the same thing from very early on (about 2 weeks old). Switching to soy formula helped some, but he just recently was diagnosed with reflux. And now he's on zantac twice a day (he's 4 months).... it seems to be helping a lot, he spits up occasionally but NOTHING like he used to. Now he just drools so much that we have to change him 3-5 times a day lol. And as far as bibs go... try buying those pampers bibsters... they come in small, medium, and large and they are convenient to take with you in the diaper bag, and you just throw them away when they are soaked or whatnot! I like em a lot.

MHJ-motherof3
by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM

My son does the same thing.  He was put on Nutrimigen Formula, two different medications because he was diagnosed wth GERDS and he was spitting up so much, he was not even gaining weight.  At 5 months now... he is off his medicine but still spitting up a lot.  he might go back on medication but the point is...if you think it is too much spitting up and your doctor does not think so... get a second opinion!  We go through over 10 bibs a day with no problem... I have resorted to the ones that have the plastic back so his shirts don't get went!!  Good luck!

Erin674
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 3:47 AM

I think the biggest problem with spitting up (besides all the mess) is if the baby isn't gaining weight or growing properly.  Three of my four children spit up all the time.  Huge amounts of spit up after every feeding and in between feedings too.  But they all gained weight and grew just fine.  It's not always an allergy or sensitivity to formula though.  All of my kids were exclusively breast fed and no amount of changing my diet or eliminating possible irritants from my diet helped.   After watching one of them breast feed the dr said that my milk was coming out so fast that they were gulping to try and keep up and swallowing a lot of air in the process.  Luckily as soon as they were sitting up on their own well and crawling the spitting up completely stopped so hopefully you're almost at the end of it.  Good luck and if you're not happy with your dr's explanation trust your instincts and talk to a different doctor.  Mommys usually know when something strange is going on with their babies.

Danesmommy1
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Thank you everyone!  Dane isn't having a problem with his weight, he's gaining just like he should, so I know enough of the formula stays down.  I think I'll cal the ped. again and ask if reflux is a possibility.  I hope it's not reflux!  He's almost 6 months so maybe it will resolve itself.  I know that the sphincter (sp??) muscle in the stomach is suppose to be stronger by then.

Elke

tdavis84
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I would ask your dr about the reflux problem like someone else had said.  My baby was spitting up a lot for a few weeks after switching him completely over to formula from breastmilk.  My dr told me that the formula might irritate his stomach, but he straightened out and now he doesn't spit up hardly at all.  I have a friend though, whose baby is only 4 months old and her baby was spitting up a lot and gassy like yours and the dr had to change her formula b/c they found out that the baby was lactose, so that might be something else to ask about.

oxley12
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM

My daughter had that same problem.  I would def. ask about maybe reflux and my daughter is also allergic to milk products and had to have soy formula.  Its something to ask about

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)