Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I have a 5 1/2 month old boy and he spits up A LOT.  Yesterday, I had to change his clothes 5 times.  I was so frustrated.  I have to wash his bibs everyday, he goes through them all!  Every time he burps he spits up.  He burps a lot, and not just when he's done feeding.  The ped. said that as long as he's not vomiting he's ok.  (When it's spit up it's just really milky, when it's vomit it has that stomach acid pukey smell.)  I've noticed when I give him the rice cereal less comes up when he burps.  Is it because it's thicker?  I'm just so over having to change him and wipe him down!

Elke

by on Aug. 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM
Replies (11-17):
Tuckersmom2006
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 9:40 PM

When my soon was a month old he had to have surgery because the bottom muscle of his stomach was to tight. It was not letting all the milk go down, sometimes he would spit up other times not. He was also put on Zantac after the surgery, because of the reflux. I was told if the spit up or vomit smells like acid its more than likely reflux.  Talk to your Dr. again, Good Luck!

TwinDaze
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 11:40 PM

One of my twins did the same thing right from the get go.  The doctors said with some babies the esophageal sphincter doesn't always close when it's suppose because it's weak.  As long as your baby is gaining weight, isn't in any pain, and is happy, most likely you just have to wait it out until the sphincter gets stronger.  My boys are 6 months now (almost 7) and I saw an improvement almost immediately when we started them on cereal.  We still go through several changes of clothes and bibs, but it's not so much due to spit up anymore.  They are both teething and drool like crazy.

I would still check with your doctor just to be sure.

Danesmommy1
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Thank you everyone!  I've been giving him the rice cereal and he's definetly spitting up less.  I guess it's thicker so, everything stays down better.  I appreciate it!

Elke

NiChOlE06
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 8:37 AM

MY 5 MONTH OLD DOES TOO, THE DR SWITCHED HER TO SIMILAC RS IT WORKS SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD SHE TRIED IT FOR ONE FULL DAY AND DIDN'T SPIT UP FOR 6 DAYS STRAIGHT! I RECOMEND IT!

texasmommy_0607
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM

My DD has reflux so I know what you're going through on the spitting up all the time. My pedi caught it when she was born and she has been on Zantac ever since. I would talk to your pedi about testing for reflux. Shae is also on the soy milk which helps a lot too.

Shannonboy n girl

mamaofone122112
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM

My daughter had the same exact problem... they finally switched her formula to Similac sensitive and she doesn't spit up near as much as she did before it. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

If you're formula feeding, maybe try a different kind?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN