Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

questions about babysitting..HELP

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

So i'm needing to find out what other moms pay babysitters these days..  monthly/every 2 weeks/whatever it is.. how much do you pay a babysitter/for how many kids/how many hours/and at your house or the babysitters? I dont want to cheat somebody out on money nor pay them more than i should..

by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LEB28
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM

My cousin watched Logan for the first year.  We paid her $20/day (and only paid her for the days she actually watched him) but we paid her once a week.  So for a 5 day week we were paying $100, 4 day week $80, etc.  She watched him anywhere from 7:30am - 3:30pm or 5:30 pm.  It just depended on who picked him up that day.  My husband is a school teacher and would be off work at 2:30 and pick Logan up by 3:30 but I couldn't get him until 5:30.  Hope this helps.  This year he goes to a day care and we pay $125/wk and they will watch him from 6am-6pm, but again it's usually the same hourly schedule as above.  We also get the 20% tax credit or deduction for child care so that comes to $100/wk.

ethans_ride
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM

For an hourly babysitter like for a night out (if we get to it) we've paid anywhere from $15-$20 an hour four our one son.  The sitters usually come to our home because it's easiest when it is time for bed.  For daycare we just moved our little man and will be paying $180 a week with hours from 7 am-6pm at the daycare providers home.  This includes meals, but we have to provide diapers, wipes, plates/cups/utensils (2 sets), a sheet and a blanket.  I've seen ranges for in home daycare between $180-$250 a week where you have to provide the same items, and for center daycare from $289-$460 depending on all of the "extras" (for the higher end you didn't have to provide a thing except for formula or breast milk for infants). Hope this helps some.

MaryElizabeth82
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 9:13 PM

I suppose it really probably depends on where you live.  Also it depends on whether or not you are hiring someone who you sort of know (who might give you a deal).  Are you running an ad for a babysitter? 

maddiesmom1211
by on Aug. 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM

We pay our daytime provider $3.50/hour and we take our daughter about 23-27 hours per week.  For part-time sitters, we normally pay $3/hour, but have had really bad luck getting a good part-time sitter who will actually play with my child and stay off the computer. Hope this helps.

mamalisa0217
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 2:05 PM

wow!!! some mothers are paying way too much for childcare- i mean yes of course you want the best care for your child but u also want a reasonable price to go with that- if you are paying $140 for a week then make sure you aregetting what you are paying for. there are some daycares that have prices like that ,that provide diapers and wipes. But i wouldnt expect that price from a home daycare unless they were liscenced  but still alot less-$120 the most. 

jaesproudmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM

I pay mine $8 hr. She only does it one day at week while I"m at school, but since there is no taxes taken out I think it's reasonable.

Kristin

Work at Home Mom & Lovin' It!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)