Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

i need your opinions

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM
  • 5 Replies

first of all I havent introduced mysepf in this group yet, so my name is Candice & I have a 10 month old DD named Chloe....but what i need your opinions on is that people keep telling me that I have to take my daughter to church, they tell me im a bad mother for not taking her. and most of these people are hypocrits because they dont even go to church themselves. Dont get me wrong, I am a strong believer in god & i say my prayers every night. I am going to teach my daughter about god and teach her to do whats right. but I just dont beleive in "organized religion" I believe that as long as you believe in god and do whats right then that counts for something. I do know about the bible and I used to go to church with my mom when i was younger but I just think as long as i teach my daughter about god and the difference between right and wrong then when she is older she can decide for herself if she wants to go to church. Do you think its wrong for me to think like this?

by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
chevy4x4ss
by on Aug. 24, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I've had the same problem. Neither my husband or I am religious and we've been looked down on because of it. Before we got pregnant we'd taked about it and decided that it's up to our children (assuming we have more then one) to decide what they want to do. I'd tell people that that your daughter has a mind of her own and she'll be the one to make the decision when she's ready.   

lverdone
by on Aug. 25, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Ignore them.  They don't even go to church and think you should take a 10 month old?  Can a 10 month old sit quietly for an hour? 

We haven't baptised or done any of that.  Sometimes people ask if we are going to but its not really any of their business.

And seriously - a bad mother for not taking your kid to church?  I think these people need to get their priorities straight.  Religion is a personal thing, not as important to everyone as it is to them and its not always practiced in the same way for everyone.  I also think feeding and comforting a baby is a little more important than going to church.

zblueyez
by on Aug. 25, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I think its completely rude that people would say those things to you. It's your decision how you raise your daughter. None of their business.

We are a Christian, bible-believing family. We take our kids to church and they go in the nursery and classrooms while we attend the service. We're not those fanatics who freak out if we miss a week, etc. But we crave the fellowship with other believers.

Do what's right for your family and ignore everyone who criticizes.

myfamilymylife2
by on Aug. 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM

If they are true ppl of God, they will not judge you, they would encourage you. I am a true believer also. I am just starting to go back to church with my family. And it's not because anyone is pressuring me. It's just what I feel God wants me to do.  Your beliefs and relationship with God is between you and him. No one should tell you what to do. God does however, want fellowship and he wants you to seek other people and reach out to non believers. But it is up to you how you want to serve him :D

mommy2_2008
by on Aug. 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Me and my husband believe took our daughter to church when we first had her but we dont go to church reguraly. We have had people tell us that she needs to be in church but honestly church dosent affect your religion. Going to church alone will not get you to heaven. If you believe in god and you are teaching them good ways then dont stress over what others say. My daughters grandparents are the worst about saying it so i finally told them if they want to come pick her up and take her then they could do so and that would give me and my husband some alone time. When she gets older and she can decide for herself then i will not go against what she choses. she will know about god and the bible wether or not she goes to church and thats just fine with me.

~*~Lynn~*~ Mommy of one and one on the way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)