Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TLC's Bringing Home Baby - A gripe about visitors...

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM
  • 13 Replies
OK, So I catch TLC's Bringing Home Baby a couple days a week, and something always rubbed me wrong on that show...today I figured out that it was always how the couples had visitors, sometimes a super load of visitors on the baby's first day...I feel that it's rude for anyone to go visit a baby on the second day of them being home...it stresses out the parents and the baby, and you see it all the time on that show...My daughter is 5 1/2 months and I still don't welcome visitors all the time...I especially did not welcome them within the first two weeks of her being home...not to mention a lot of the guests bring their small snotty children over! Ugh...so maybe I'm just having a cranky moment, but does anyone else have issues with visitors and your little ones? Any thoughts?
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numba1soccermom
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Maybe they do that bc of the show. Normally, i dont think people would do that but yea i agree, its too much,

LuLuMagoo2
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Our daughter was a preemie. She was 9 1/2 weeks early. We brought her home at 23 days old and for the next 4 months we only allowed grandparents over. We still ask if anyone is sick when having people over and she's 2 1./2 now. So if you're cranky then I must be too.

Danesmommy1
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM

When I was pregnant, I was ADDICTED to those shows  Bringing Home Baby, A Baby Stoty, Adoption Story, Amazimg Births, etc...  I drove my husband nuts!

Elke

matofour
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Well, I think it totally depends on what type of person you are, we had visitors from day one, and loved it.  We also went out from day one, with the first I was the most sore, but still was able to make a 18 hour car trip to visit my family, with the baby at 9 days old.  When the second was born, she came home on a friday, on saturday we had my oldest daughters first birthday party with over 100 people there.  (the baby was two weeks early....quite the surprise!!).

With the 3 and 4, they just poped out, I left the hospital in no pain at all (the only pain I had was when I nursed, I had MAJOR contrations then, and only at night).  I was up and running immediatly.  With the 3 and 4, I was back to normal within a day or so of giving birth, I felt great, (slightly sleep deprived), but we stayed busy. 

So, I think it just depends on how you feel, and what you feel comfortable with.  I am sure for the shows, that some of it is just because of tv.  But, who knows, we enjoy the excitement!

becca2715
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 8:11 PM

I thought i was the only one who thought like that!  When we brought my dd home, we were bombarded by visitors for weeks!!! It got to the point where i wouldnt leave our room.  I would just sit on the bed and cry.  I refused to let them see her or come out.  It TOTALLY stressed me out! Apparently, here in KY, its just not normal to not toss your new baby around to every Tom, Dick and Harry that walks through your door.  I still get people giving me attitude about it and its been 3 and 1/2 months now!  They can kiss it, cause with my next one im not gonna let my dh tell ANYONE were home with the new baby for like a month.  Then they can all look in from outside the door and wave.  Im super protective of my babies!  I dont wanna hand em around!!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM

We did not allow visitors because of baby getting sick.  Babies are very prone to illness because of low immune system.  I watch that show and get upset because they have visitors over.  Plus I think we needed to bond as a family and find our own routine in doing things.  i never had either of our mothers come over and help with baby through the night because we wanted to do ourself.  Yes he was a our first and we figured it out all on our own. 

Candace

ABJ040507
by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 6:14 AM

I completely agree with matofour. It depends what kid of person your are. MY first I was in sooo much pain it was a very bad experience !!!! She came home on a Thursday and we had visitors the next day for my birthday and the next day my best friend & her family came over. I LOVED IT! For my second, I felt awesome  we had a bunch of people family & neighbors to see her on the first day home . . Actually we were at my SIL birthday party two days after she was home. And for my third, He came home on a Friday and that Sunday was Mother's day and we hosted a party for everyone . This was so everyone could see him and all the Mother's were together too I think we had 15 people here. I truly think it is totally what you are comfortable with. I have always LOVED it when everyone came by to see our babies. But, everyone has their limits.

Talk later!

VeeDesaulniers
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:57 AM

well in my opinion I wanted visitors to come see him in the hospital and at home when we got home and I planned that to happen....kinda a big mistake...well not the hospital visitors but the home ones ahhhh....the first night home I had my sister in law and a friend who brought her step daughter who had grubby fingers and a snotty nose....and I was soooo frustrated from stuff that nurses had us doing wrong while we were in the hospital that the doc told us about before we left and then had a hell of time figuring out his car seat in order to leave then had to go to walmart before going home (another huge mistake as I had a c-section but i drove the wheel chair around cuz we weren't planning on formula feeding and needing a different size of diapers my baby was almost 10 lbs at birth) so yeah I was sooo flipping angry while the ppl were there but I hid it and ended up breaking down afterwards and the next day....next baby we don't have visitors until at least the third or fourth day. As for hospital visitors I loved it at night but the morning ones always interupted our feeding time and at that time I was TRYING to breastfeed and they just stopped in and then my meals were always eaten way later which doesnt help recovery so yeah we won't be doing that the second time for sure!!!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

MissyKitty29
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Yeah we were the same way, we had our daughter on a wensday came home friday and we had people over from day1 of being home, we did ask for no visitors in the hospital though except for the lady who was keeping our kids.  My hubby was home on R&R from Iraq  and we kinda made the most of it.  We stayed in for the weekend and then Monday I went to lunch with a friend lol had my first Legal shot of Pattron seeig as how i was prego on my 21st bday) then i wen to wallyworld got a new battery for my van and went home my hubby fixed it and we spent the rest of the day out running more erins.  We had a few people over everynow and then and we spent alot of time over at our friends houses. My hubby did some honeydo stuff for some of my friends who needed things, fixing cars and putting stuff togeather.  we even went to the 94th battallion sprin picnick at the lake. I was in no pain and we did make shure she was tolorating the new enviorment she was in other wise we would go home.  I think the only reason we were like that is because my hubby was home for the first time in 5 months.  he had made some promasses to the guys he works with lol we even spent a whole day of driving around and him hugging peoples wives and me taking pics, apperently ALOT of guys had hugged him and then told him to hug their wives for them lol.

Quoting matofour:

Well, I think it totally depends on what type of person you are, we had visitors from day one, and loved it.  We also went out from day one, with the first I was the most sore, but still was able to make a 18 hour car trip to visit my family, with the baby at 9 days old.  When the second was born, she came home on a friday, on saturday we had my oldest daughters first birthday party with over 100 people there.  (the baby was two weeks early....quite the surprise!!).

With the 3 and 4, they just poped out, I left the hospital in no pain at all (the only pain I had was when I nursed, I had MAJOR contrations then, and only at night).  I was up and running immediatly.  With the 3 and 4, I was back to normal within a day or so of giving birth, I felt great, (slightly sleep deprived), but we stayed busy. 

So, I think it just depends on how you feel, and what you feel comfortable with.  I am sure for the shows, that some of it is just because of tv.  But, who knows, we enjoy the excitement!

MissyKitty29
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Yeah we were like tht too with our last one lol! 5 days, erins. 1 week over at a friends(wich continued constently for the whole next 2 weeks.  1 1/2 weeks we went to the lake for the battalion picnick. the next day we went to  a friends tripplits 1st bday party.  we were 90mph since day 1! 

Quoting ABJ040507:

I completely agree with matofour. It depends what kid of person your are. MY first I was in sooo much pain it was a very bad experience !!!! She came home on a Thursday and we had visitors the next day for my birthday and the next day my best friend & her family came over. I LOVED IT! For my second, I felt awesome  we had a bunch of people family & neighbors to see her on the first day home . . Actually we were at my SIL birthday party two days after she was home. And for my third, He came home on a Friday and that Sunday was Mother's day and we hosted a party for everyone . This was so everyone could see him and all the Mother's were together too I think we had 15 people here. I truly think it is totally what you are comfortable with. I have always LOVED it when everyone came by to see our babies. But, everyone has their limits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)