Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

My two boys ages 4 and 3 used to clean their room without a problem. But then I was in the hospital for 3 days when I had the baby and their Dad didn't make them clean. Now they won't clean. I've put them to bed early, time out over and over, even took away toys not picked up. They don't care!!! Any tips?

by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numba1soccermom
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Maybe start taking things away and they dont get it back til they do what theyre told. If you give them dessert, take it away, dont let them go outside and play, no movies etc.. Thats what i would do. Its bound to work i think

Krys_mathews
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Tried all that. When I take away the toys they just forget about them. No treats, playing outside, even no toys in the tub. I thinking about not allowing them in their room for a day so they can see how it feels with no toys at all. But most of the time they just play with each other (on toys).

Danesmommy1
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Maybe they're acting out out of jealousy for the new baby?  I'd pay them as much extra attention as I could manage and try to reassure them.

Elke

Bugsey82
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM

my sons fav TV show comes on at 8-9 he has to have his room clean by 8 or he cant watch it I go in with him and help him a bit because he says he don't know how (even though I know he does)_another Idea is that they cant go to sleep till its done I did that once and my hubby even went in to help clean it because HE wanted to go to bed

Krys_mathews
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 9:35 PM

I done the no sleeping but when I get up (about a half hour after them) it's destroyed. They don't even play just dump everything. Sometimes when they don't want to eat dinner they force their self to sleep at the table. My boyfriend thinks they have a woman authority problem.

Quoting Bugsey82:

my sons fav TV show comes on at 8-9 he has to have his room clean by 8 or he cant watch it I go in with him and help him a bit because he says he don't know how (even though I know he does)_another Idea is that they cant go to sleep till its done I did that once and my hubby even went in to help clean it because HE wanted to go to bed

bluejupiter13
by on Aug. 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM

What if you offer them a new toy or a trip to the park when they do finally get things cleaned up?

Krys_mathews
by on Aug. 30, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Nope

mommabozzi
by on Aug. 30, 2008 at 12:05 AM

I brought a big black trash bag in her room and started throwing toys in it. i told her if she couldnt take care of her toys by puttin them away then I was going to give them to a kid who would. After about the 5th toy, she cleaned up the rest of her room by herself. :)

Krys_mathews
by on Aug. 30, 2008 at 1:12 AM

I did the trash bag thing too. Made them throw them away, they didn't mind picking up the toys to throw them away. Then I put the bag in the storage room. They never asked for it back. One day when they weren't home I got sick of looking at it and put everything away.

lolliedivine
by on Aug. 30, 2008 at 1:46 AM

I dont want to be assumptive but the most important thing is consistancy. 3 days away might be enough to set things back but not distroy them compleatly. I have my kids clean their room everyday with no exceptions. pretty much since they could walk. I dont really have much of a problem getting them to do it but I remember when I was a kid it was pretty hard for my mom to get me to. the only way we ever got it done was to make a game of it. the game we played, we called "the King's helper". the kids take turns sitting on the "throne" and they get to tell the other one(s) one thing they have to pick up. you could also play a new version of  "I spy" where one kid says a color and the other has to find something of the same and put it away. I also watched an episode of little bill where his great aunt made a cute game of it, so maybe look it up on youtube. Play music or anything that makes it enjoyable for them because from my experience, taking things away doesnt help because they will always work around it, and punishments dont either because they begin to dread the chore. I try not to give rewards either because they will expect one everytime. I hope this helps!! also, I found that when kids dont miss their toys, it means they probably dont need so many, which is nice on the bank roll!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN