Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

sleeping through the night

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

my 2 month old is breastfed and for the past couple of nights i have given her just a little cereal and she has slept through the night is that ok or should she not be sleeping that long w/o eating??

by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Danesmommy1
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Rice cereal keeps them full longer, allowing them to sleep longer.  I wouldn't worry.  If she gets hungry, she'll wake up.

Elke

oxley12
by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 11:50 AM

2 months is still really young.  Its not good for her to go that long without eating.  At that age she should only go about 4 hours without eating at night.  My daughter was breastfed and she didnt sleep a whole 8 hours til she was almost 6 months old.

isaboo22
by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM

My docs always told me to not try putting cereal in bottle until they are 6 mos. I did with my first dd at 5 weeks. and shes been sleeping through the night since....she's almost 5 now.  If it works, and its not making them sick...do it.

If they are sleeping through the night, then they are not in need of eatting. At that age, they will let you know when they are hungry. Is he eatting more then normal when he wakes? If so, its OK.

frndlyfn
by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 3:48 PM

it depends whether you are feeding on demand or have a set schedule for her to eat. If you are feeding on demand it is fine for her to sleep through the night, she will wake up if hungry. As long as her weight is going up let her sleep and enjoy those nights.

BaileysMama
by on Sep. 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM

My daughter is 2 months too and ever since she came home from the hospital she goes to bed at 10 10:30 and then wakes back up at 6:45 I love it!!!! I started feeding mine rice at about 4 weeks i am feeding her applesauce now.... My first daughter they told me not to let her go for more than 3 hours without eating so i would wake her up to eat worst mistake I wish i never had when they are hungry they will let you know!

Quoting the_shy_one:

my 2 month old is breastfed and for the past couple of nights i have given her just a little cereal and she has slept through the night is that ok or should she not be sleeping that long w/o eating??

annettenikole
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 12:43 AM

I'm sorry to say that feeding babies rice cereal doesn't make them sleep through the night!  If you look at sleep studies it has no effect on their sleep/wake modes.  You are just a lucky mommy :-)

Also, as for feeding cereal that early... I personally wouldn't because they may not be getting enough breastmilk and their digestive tracks really aren't ready to handle it... they usually mature between 4-6 months of age, which is why the AAP recomends holding off on solids until 6 months.

Mia055
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 12:47 AM

My son slept all night since he was 2 1/2 weeks...he's 2 months old now and still does...i wouldnt worry either, because-well of course-they'll wake u up if their hungry...congrats btw

ampinquoch
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Firstly-Congrats on your new found sleep! Oh ya and the baby who lets you sleep hehe.

I agree with the other posters. If your baby is hungry she wil wake up and let you know. As for rice cereal, its a personal decision you have to make. You are Mommy and you know whats best for your baby-it may not be ok for other babies. You can telll if their digestive system isn't handling it.Just be sure that she is BFing extra towards the night and mix the rice cereal with B-milk possibly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN