Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Kids and Cleaning Up

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM
  • 3 Replies

What is your 'policy' on your kids cleaning their room or toys?  My boys are 3 and 20 months and I pretty much clean everything up.  There are times when I make them help with a specific things like putting the blocks in their backet or something but usually I just do it, it's so much easier.  I know its a terrible habit.  They will clean up if I aks them too but I think doing their whole room themselves is a lot.  I do try to have them help me clean up some toys if they want to do something like play legos or set up the train.  My 3 has recently been asking for a dollar so I have started having him clean something up before he can get it. 

What do ya'll do?

by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Danesmommy1
by on Sep. 3, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I think having him work for his dollar is a great idea.  As far as the cleaning goes, I don't think it's ever to early to have them clean up thier own messes.  It's hard, but be consistent.  Let them do it, even if it's hard and you do the real picking up after them.  I think it's important to instill in them a good work ethic and learning to clean up after themselves is a great start.  Even if they don't do a great job and you end up doing it, at least have them try.

Elke

kaa3081
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I usually try and get the kids to clean up their stuff on their own.  I help a lot, but my 3 year-old and 18 month old can get the job done if given enough time.  Sometimes I just do it myself if I already put them to bed so they don't see that I picked up after them.  I do not give rewards for picking up.  It is their job.

brigantia
by on Sep. 5, 2008 at 8:06 PM
I do two main things. Before bed, I set an egg timer for about 15 minutes and make a game out of it. If my son can "beat" the timer, he gets a sticker on his chart. Once he gets 7 stickers in a row (covering the whole week) he can get a treat-small toy, trip to the ice cream store, new book, etc...During the day, I encourage my son to put away 1 toy before getting out a new one. This keeps the clutter down dramatically. Otherwise, there would be toys all over the house! Good lucK!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)