Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help!!!! I'm at my witts end with my 16mo olds temper tantrums

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have  a 16 month old that has temper tantrums real bad and I cant seem to get a handle on them.  He will headbutt anything that's around.  He has bruises on his forehead from it. I have an 11 year old and a 5 year old and they never went thru tantrums this bad so this is new for me.  I feel like i have tried everything. but i'm very open for more suggestions.  I'm afraid he is going to hurt himself.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lil_ferfer
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM

my oldest went through this too. he was horrible. he would head bang, scream at the top of his lungs, hit ppl, it was bad. spankings didn't work, time out didnt work, the stupid corner didn't work. he just out grew it eventually. it seemed like it took forever. now that he is finally out of it my middle child is starting up. i still have a 7 wk old baby so i'm afraid that when jonny finally quits jamie will do it too. 3 year straight of extreme tantrums. yikes!!! but good luck, it will end i promise!!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
lgroves
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 5:07 PM

At only 16 months he has no idea how to deal with his feelings, and the tantrums are his way of expressing himself.  The best thing you can do for him is turn away from his tantrums.  If you try to discipline him you will reinforce his behavior and it will continue.  A suggestion for the headbutting - try giving him a pillow or putting a couch cushion on the floor for him to take his agressions out on.  You may have to do some headbutting yourself on the pillow or cushion to teach him how to use it.  Eventually he will figure out how to better handle his anger and frustration, but for now just be patient :)  I have a 16 month old, too, so I sympathize!

momstoybox
by on Sep. 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I have a 16 month son old that does the same thing, he head butts everything. the dr said that he will grow out . I'm really afraid he's going to hurt himself. Im ready to buy him a helmet.

mamaboo0607
by on Sep. 9, 2008 at 2:39 PM

try holding him when he does it they say if you do that they feel better my daughter does it to

princessslmommy
by on Sep. 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I feel your pain my daughter is almost 16 months and she has been doing the same thing for a few months now and I've tried disciplining her in various ways but it just seems to make things worse. She HATES the word no. Just the other day I told her no for something and she decided it would be a good idea to headbutt the corner of the wall. I just about had a heart attack. I've tried ignoring her too but I'm afraid if I do that she'll really hurt herself. Sorry I wasn't any help.

WBloink
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Mine does that too, but he crawls real fast to his room. i wait few min, than go in and put him in his crib and say crabby babies go to bed. he usually falls alseep after 5 min.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN