Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 Month Old Hates The Nose Aspirator

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter caught her first cold this weekend (she got it from me!). She is 3 months old and I called her doctor and they told me the only options for babies that young are baby tylenol, saline drops for her nose, and constantly sucking the snot out with the nose aspirator. She also said that steaming up the bathroom and sitting in there with her might help.

So far, the congestion is only in her nose, not her chest. She doesn't have a cough, but she coughs when I use the nose squeegy (thats what I call it anyway! lol) I have to suction the stuff out but she absolutely hates it and cries the entire time that I do it. Not just normal cries either, blood curdling screams!!

So...I have two questions?  Can you use the nose aspirator too much? Is there anything I can do to help her get through it each time? It breaks my heart because it makes me think I am hurting her!

Any help would be appreciated.

by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicangl
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM

my first thought was.. what kid doesnt? lol.. trust me theres nothing u can do to make it better.. at least not that ive found.. however make sure u dont go too high in her nose but thats about it i think.. and def do the shower steam thing.. its freakin awesome.. and if either u or hubby likes hot hot hot showers (me in our family) get one of those balls that u put in the shower to open you up and take the baby in and let that steam into her also

SudaCare Shower Soothers Vaporizing Shower Tablets this is what im talking about thats awesome in a shower.. also get some baby vicks and put it on her chest and under her nose and if she gets a cough i hear to put reg vicks on their feet then put socks on and thats sposed to help also.. i dont know if it does but thats what i hear

MommyRust
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I have some of those at home! I'll try anything at this point! lol

Can they use the baby vicks this young? I was todl not until 6 months, but I'll check the box.

Quoting musicangl:

my first thought was.. what kid doesnt? lol.. trust me theres nothing u can do to make it better.. at least not that ive found.. however make sure u dont go too high in her nose but thats about it i think.. and def do the shower steam thing.. its freakin awesome.. and if either u or hubby likes hot hot hot showers (me in our family) get one of those balls that u put in the shower to open you up and take the baby in and let that steam into her also

SudaCare Shower Soothers Vaporizing Shower Tablets this is what im talking about thats awesome in a shower.. also get some baby vicks and put it on her chest and under her nose and if she gets a cough i hear to put reg vicks on their feet then put socks on and thats sposed to help also.. i dont know if it does but thats what i hear

AshleyRiv
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM

You can't use it to much....but I don't think any child likes it, but you gotta do what you gotta do to help them.  I always used a vaporizer when my daughters nose got stuffed up and it would drain the stuff out...also the doc office said a humidifier would be good for it.  I know u might feel bad they dont like the nose sucker but they gotta breath

musicangl
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM

ok well if not the baby vicks im 99% sure they can use this stuff...

http://www.littleremedies.com/baby-rub.htm

it says 3 mnths and up. thats what we have for our 2 babies

musicangl
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 2:37 PM

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2948862

i dont know if u do organic but i just found this at babiesrus.. im gonna talk to my hubby bout getting it for our girls.. looks awesome

MeNMy2Kids
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM

my daughter hates that thing too! poor thing screams bloody murder when I use it.

sorry I dont have any advice, just know your not alone

XO XO ~Amanda 

previously known as  Acolson3

EliRoniBabies
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM

both of mine hate it! girl (3mos) grabs it! if you use it too much you'll know cuz their nose gets dry! otherwise you're okay! i dunno of anything else you could do! sry!

MommyRust
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Thank you for your help guys!! This is my first baby and my first sickness with her and its not as easy as it looks! lol

Swt_Mama
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 9:40 AM

MAY BE GROSS TO SOME BUT MY SON HATED IT AND I STARTED TO SUCK IT OUT WITH MY MOUTH SEEMED TO WORK BETTER THAN TH ASPIRATOR ALSO VICKS HELPS (BABY VICKS) SINCE SHE IS 3 MONTHS ITS FINE . NOT SUGGESTING YOU USE YOUR MOUTH ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE  

Med109
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 9:50 AM

You should absolutly get the mommy of the year!!! Im sure it works good though! On the same note, Im only posting this because others may have heard the same thing. My friend said her hubby use to blow in babys mouth and the stuff would come out the nose. Which in therory it will work BUT you run a huge risk of popping a lung. The ar will first have to fully inflate the lung, than it would come out the nose. Once that lung is to full it will pop, so if you hear this remedy do not try it. Your doing the oppiset, sucking it out so I am sure there is no harm  (other than to yourself lol)

I suck his nose a couple times, than put the saline drops in. I also take a dry q-tip and twist it around in there nostril, usually it pulls out some amazing stuff lol. I also put him in the bathroom in his bouncy while we shower. He loves the noise of the water and the steam works great. I have heard of vicks on the feet before and I am gonna try it tonight!!!

Quoting Swt_Mama:

MAY BE GROSS TO SOME BUT MY SON HATED IT AND I STARTED TO SUCK IT OUT WITH MY MOUTH SEEMED TO WORK BETTER THAN TH ASPIRATOR ALSO VICKS HELPS (BABY VICKS) SINCE SHE IS 3 MONTHS ITS FINE . NOT SUGGESTING YOU USE YOUR MOUTH ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)