Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My 3 Month Old Hates The Nose Aspirator

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter caught her first cold this weekend (she got it from me!). She is 3 months old and I called her doctor and they told me the only options for babies that young are baby tylenol, saline drops for her nose, and constantly sucking the snot out with the nose aspirator. She also said that steaming up the bathroom and sitting in there with her might help.

So far, the congestion is only in her nose, not her chest. She doesn't have a cough, but she coughs when I use the nose squeegy (thats what I call it anyway! lol) I have to suction the stuff out but she absolutely hates it and cries the entire time that I do it. Not just normal cries either, blood curdling screams!!

So...I have two questions?  Can you use the nose aspirator too much? Is there anything I can do to help her get through it each time? It breaks my heart because it makes me think I am hurting her!

Any help would be appreciated.

by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM
Replies (11-13):
Hallmomma
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM

There are the plug ins that you can use for babies 3 months and up...also, they make baby vicks for 3 months and up.  A steam humidfier will help at night as well.

musicangl
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

lol now im going through the same thing as you.. haha.. my daughter has had a cough and runny nose but today she started throwing up so im gonna turn the shower on hot hot and turn the dryer on and sit both kids in the bathroom with us and hopefully it will be like a sauna..and im gonna put the babyrub on their chests and noses and vicks on their feet.. ill try anything lol

Elizabethsma631
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Use it use it use it! It is the best thing to clear out their nasal passages and let them breathe better. Do it now, because you could be like me with my daughter who is now one with a snotty nose and she fights back when you try to use the aspirator lol. It isnt the easiest thing. The baby tylenol is not recommended for children under 6 months old. Vicks vapo rub works great (make sure it's the baby kind...the other is too strong) "vapo" bath...they make babywash with eucalyptus and other soothing things in it to clear them up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)