Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spoiling a 4 month old?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

Recently, my four month old son has been getting fussy whenever he doesn't have someones undivided attention.  Sitting and playing with him for a while helps but as soon as I go back to what I'm doing, he starts whining again.  Have I been spoiling him with too much attention?  Have any other moms come across this problem?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

happy

by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bensmom22
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I wouldn't say you're spoiling him. You should be proud you're such an attentive mama! I don't think it would hurt anything to let him fuss for a few minutes to see if he can find something to entertain himself with, though. My son has a Baby Einstein mat that plays music and has toys dangling form it and he loves it. Another option is wearing him in a sling while you do housework. Good luck!

MomOfEleri
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Been there-don't have much advice other then it gets better and harder.  I breastfeed my daughter and she became accustomed to mommy.  So all day every day was about me and her-and she refused about everyone else-including daddy-now at nine months she is comfortable with playing by herself-but she likes me in an eye shot.  I give her lots of love when she ask for it and her space when she wants.  Hang in there-it does change-and you will be missing when he needed you a little more. 

angeliz89
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I'm in a similar situation. He is the same  age (4 months) but he is too heavy to hold all the time (about 20 pounds) so sometimes I have to let my friends or family members entertain him. That helps sometimes, but since I'm in college and have to have a babysitted all day, it is hard to let him be with someone else while I do homework.

yaffamommy
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 10:49 PM

I have the same problem mine is 5 months. He'll go from fussing to crying so hard he can hardly breathe. My dh says I'm spoiling him but I dont really think you can spoil them so young. I hate having him cry. I just keep thinking it will get better soon. Hang in there.

LillianKorah
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Quoting bensmom22:

I wouldn't say you're spoiling him. You should be proud you're such an attentive mama! I don't think it would hurt anything to let him fuss for a few minutes to see if he can find something to entertain himself with, though. My son has a Baby Einstein mat that plays music and has toys dangling form it and he loves it. Another option is wearing him in a sling while you do housework. Good luck!

Right on!!! I agree with bensmom22..in my humble opinion babies this young cant be spolied just find something to distract him with or a toy he really enjoys.

armywife43
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:09 AM

IMO, you CAN spoil a baby that young. when my son was 4 months, he didn't like it when i was out of sight. it got to the point i had to take showers with the curtain open, and nothing would get him entertained. so i started letting him cry it out. i started out at letting him cry for about 2-3 minutes, and then gradually to 5 minutes, and so on and so on. by the time he was 5 months, i was able to go into another room without him fussing. if he did fuss, all i'd have to do was say "hold on sweety, mommy's doing so-n-so, i'll be right there" so he'd stop. hearing my voice was letting him know that i was close by. I know one mom who believed you can't spoil a baby until they're 6 months (which is apparently what the doctors say) so she would go running to him at every wimper. the day he turned 6 months, i looked at her and said "he is officially spoiled". he would litterally scream if she put him down. i was just so glad that my son didn't do that.

Love2BMommy77
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 1:15 AM

My situation was exactly the same and I do the same.

Quoting MomOfEleri:

Been there-don't have much advice other then it gets better and harder.  I breastfeed my daughter and she became accustomed to mommy.  So all day every day was about me and her-and she refused about everyone else-including daddy-now at nine months she is comfortable with playing by herself-but she likes me in an eye shot.  I give her lots of love when she ask for it and her space when she wants.  Hang in there-it does change-and you will be missing when he needed you a little more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)