Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Sleeping HELP.............

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 9:21 PM
  • 3 Replies

I really need some advice.  My 16 month old starting sleeping all throgh the night in her crib at 12 months (i know that is late).  I would take her in put her in the crib and without a sound off to sleep.  For the past month she is deafly afraid to go in the crib.  When we put her down she screams until she starts coufing and gagging for 30 minutes if we let her.  Some people say she will cry herself to sleep but that does not work.  So now is she not going to bed on her own I have to lay down with her and she sleeps in our bed, but still will wake 2 or 3 times a night.  what could happened to make that sudden change.  From going to bed on her own and sleeping all night to being scared of the crib sleeping with me but getting up all night?  I am desprate.  Please help me.

Danielle.

by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gacgbaker
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I have heard at this stage babies start  getting attached to having you there more.  I know my daughter went through the same thing at a few different stages before she was two.  It was really hard to deal with and really frustrating!  Something that kinda helped us though was having a really enjoyable and regimented bed time routine.  Where you do the bath time, then the story then lay with them for a few (maybe hold her if she is in the crib) and just talk soothingly to her, whatever you need to get a routine that works for you.  It doesn't take all the anxiety they have away, but I found it helpful since it gave my daughter an idea of what was going on and when... it made her more secure. 

Good luck to you, I hope you are getting some sleep soon!

arkansasmama08
by on Sep. 17, 2008 at 11:48 PM

yeah, I remember this phase too. The good news is that she'll outgrow it soon. The bad news is but the time she does, you'll be so sleep deprived that you'll be walking into walls. No, just kidding, its not that bad. I gave in and just rocked my son at bedtime. Then I'd cut back a few minutes to where I put him down just before he would fall asleep. Then cut back a little more, and just keep that going until you just rock until she's comfy before you put her to bed. Just make sure you start cutting back before she gets addicted to it. It turned out to be a real nice bonding time for us.  Another thing you might want to consider is moving her to a toddler bed. Our son was in one by 15 months and loves it still. Maybe that would help. Let us know...goodluck!

armywife43
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM

oh that's normal?? i thought it was just my son...no really, i was pregnant, due very soon, when he started doing this, so i just assumed that he sensed something big was about to happen, so he wasn't sleeping well.

anyway, what i did was i would put him to bed at his normal time, and let him cry for a while. once i decided he wasnt' going to sleep, i would go get him and let him play for a little bit, maybe a half hour to 45 minutes, and put him back in bed.

on the days that he would go to sleep first, but then wake up in the middle of the night, i would let him cry for about 20 minutes, hoping he would cry himself back to sleep. if he didn't, i would go get him, bring him into the living room, and we would cuddle on the couch while watching a 15 minute educational show. (we have on demand, and they have educational shows for free)  after the show, i put him back in his crib. at first, he wasn't happy that i put him back in his crib. i would let him cry, and after about another 20 minutes, i would go get him and do the process over again. after a couple of days of that, after i put him back to bed after the educational show, after 20 minutes of crying, i would go in there and give him a kiss, tell him it's time for bed and that i love him, and lay him back down. he cried himself back to sleep eventually. the next night, after the show, and another crying fit, i went in there, and just kissed him and layed him down, without a word. he cried himself to sleep again. the next night, he finally got it. he understood, that we get "cuddle time" with a show for only a certain amount of time, and then it was time to go back to bed. it took about a week for us to get it right. it might take longer for you, since every kid is different.

He woke up for a little less than a month, and then just all of a sudden stopped. THANK GOD. i'm glad he did, cuz if he was still doing it, i would be sooo sleep deprived having to get up with the new LO and him. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)