Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weening off the pacifier!

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 1:39 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 13 months old, I think I should be getting rid of the pacifier sometime soon. He only has it when hes sleepy or sleeping.  I'm glad he does that and doesn't have it all the time, but its so much easier to put him to bed with it...how should i take it away?!?

baby boy *~Hannah~*

by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 3:08 AM

how about telling him its time to give them to little babies that need them? I saw it on a few nanny shows where they have the child collect them in put in a "baby" jar. if you can wean him off this early WTG, i have seen 5 yr olds with them :(

gacgbaker
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I have heard of some moms saying that the "pacifier fairy" was coming to collect the pacifier because they are a big kid now... and then the pacifier fairy leaves like a little toy or something.  I am not sure if it works or not from personal experince, but that is a tip I heard from another mom.

Danesmommy1
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM

We got my friend's daughter off the bottle by trhowing it away!  We told her we gave them to babies who needed them, she was a big girl who didn't need a bottle anymore.  Since we got the bottle out of the house, we couldn't break down and give it to her when she threw a fit for it.

Elke

bluejupiter13
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:26 PM

If other nicer ideas don't work first, I've heard of people cutting a little hole in the nipple so it doesn't feel right to the kid.  Then each night they cut off a little more until they decide they don't like it anymore.  I haven't tried it, but I thought I would throw it out there.

duedec10
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM

we just got rid on my 27 month old pacies.  one piece of advice, do not cut the nipple off in front of him.  my hubby did that and my son screamed like someone was killing him it was very tramatic for him.  so I just threw them all away it worked out better.  he is going on 3 weeks without a pacifierthank goodness the twins wont take them

Jessicalh1
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM

this didn't work too well for my son who is 2 and still on the passy. he actually bit a hole in his and we thought hey this is a good time to take him off. we let him keep the passy  so he could see what he did and at first he didn't want it but then he got so desperate that he took it anyway. so that failed for us. we've just started telling him that it's not time for pat-pat yet so we've got him down to only taking it during nap time and night time. hopefully we can just gradually take it away.

hannahridder
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies!!

baby boy *~Hannah~*

annettenikole
by on Sep. 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM

mine never took to a paci, but I think the paci-fairy and giving it away stuff works on only kids, I don't think a 13 month old would really get it!  it's not too bad if she only has it at night, atleast she's not walking around with it all day long!  But maybe if you give him something else to soothe him at night, like a blanket or stuffy (my dd is very attached to her taggie blanket) that could make the transition easier. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)