Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Hair Loss???

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 2:51 AM
  • 5 Replies

I had my daughter in February and immediately after that my hair would come out by the handfulls. My hair was always thick when I was pregnant so I figured it would stop after my hormones got back to normal, but it hasn't. I'm not bald or anything I still have long hair (as you can see by the pic) but my hair falls out all the time! Its so annoying and my shedding hair is everywhere even when I vaccuum and sweep the floor. I read that this was normal for up to 6 months after your pregnancy, but its been 7 (almost 8) months and still no change! Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do to stop it??

by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 2:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bekah062205
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 2:53 AM

its totally normal. your supposed to loose (i think) 100+ strands a day. I understand what your feeling. During the pregnancy i didnt lose much if any hair at all and then once dd was born and hormones started going back to normal there went the hair. I even started getting grey hair. its driving me nuts. I cant win with this.  Maybe talk to your dr. and see if there is anything you can do .

belaguilar
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 3:08 AM

hi.. yeah i have 2 babies and with both i lost tuns of hair... 4 almost a full year with my son... my lil girl is 7 months as well and i'm still losing hair... its normal .... even more if u bf... it can also b that u need vitamins.... in my case with my son... i was anemic so it was really bad... but other than that it is normal 2 lose lots of hair... good luck!!!

lori.clute
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 3:36 AM

When I was about 7 months pregnant with my 1st I started to loss hair by the fistful and it didn't stop until like 5 months post partum....  Then almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant with #2 it started up again and didn't stop until just recently (I"m currently 30 weeks with #3) it's slowed down to like half a fistfull.  I've heard iron, thyroid, or hormones can all affect hair loss like that.  Sometimes post partum you can have a bit of  athyroid issue and it can make you loss hair longer....  I never got a reason for mine I figure I'll wait until after this one is born to look into it.  Brush your hair a lot and do it in the bathroom so you sweep it up instead of vacuum.  Also try brushing before shower and after....  it helps minimize stuff in the drain!

Smilez007
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 4:16 AM

I understand what you are going through. My hair would not fall out at all when i was pregnant and when i had my daughter my hair started falling off like crazy but i still have all my hair also and its still long and thick. My daughter is almost a year now and my hair still falls out a lot, well not as much but its still a lot and annoying. It actually annoys my hubby too because it gets on him. hehe!

joanmay
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 4:23 AM

I totally can empathize!!!  My baby is 9 months old, and my hair still is falling out!  I'm also breastfeeding, so that may contribute.  I have noticed that the areas where it fell out a lot in the first few months, like at the left and right sides of my forehead, it has started growing back.  But everyday there's hair all over the bathroom floor and everywhere else.  It's annoying!  I have tried to stay on top of taking my vitamins and eating a well-balanced diet, but I think that only can do so much until your hormones even out eventually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)