Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTW: Sleeping Issues

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to today's question of the day post!

The question of the day is a question that a lot of you moms might be wondering, or maybe don't even know to ask it yet, so we are asking it for you!

So mommies to be, share with us your thoughts and experiences on:

Have you ever experienced any sleeping issues with your little ones?  How did you handle them?  Do you have any tips or tricks you can share with us?

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

by on Sep. 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM
Replies (51-55):
Patriotsgrl84
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 11:25 AM

My daughter did great.  She started sleeping through the night at 3 months old.  My son who is 6 days away from 10 months, is still getting up once a night.  But it's better than  it was 2 weeks ago.  He was still getting up 4 times atleast!

samaloho
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 1:02 PM

when i had trouble getting my 4 month old tosleep i did research on the net and read in several places how babies up to 1 year need a lot of sleep and havea general sleep cylce of being awake from 1 1/2 to 2 hours and then needing a cycle of sleep and getting up again.  it also stressed the importance of not missing that window of opportunity b/c a baby who is overtired is obviously not a happy baby and they lack the ability to get themselves to sleep once they are overtired and worked up.  you have to learn your baby's sleepy cues like pullin their ear, rubbing their eyes, acting fussy, and you get them to bed right away.  i did this with both my babies and it really worked for us.  they had two naps a day til htey were both 18 months old.  also having a good calming nihgttime ritual like bath time and stories really helps wind them down at night and gets them used to getting ready for bed.

lexi418
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 9:24 PM

You are a great mom i'm sure, but for me I let my daughter cry it out. When she would cry I would go in her room to reasure her that mommy is still here, but never pick them up out of the bed because that confuses them. So i'm for the let them cry it out method. It worked so well for me. It took only one night of her crying for 1 hour. Yes I felt bad but it works.

annettenikole
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM

my baby hates to sleep!  Around 2-3 months she would only nap on me (not in bed with me, but actually on my chest, only way to get her a good nap)  She would fight sleep all the time!!!  (still does actually)

But the best thing ever is the book: "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy child" by dr. marc weisbluth!  This book helped us recognize her early sleepy signs and find her sleep schedule!

As for other advice... I tried EVERYTHING out there to get my baby to go to sleep and take better naps, she was nursing to sleep until 8 months, then I had to get her to go to sleep on her own b/c her sleep was getting SOO terrible! 

I'd say the most common thing that causes sleep issues is a too late bedtime, or not enough naps during the day!  Also, encouraging night waking well past the time babies should be waking at night causes problems (yup, I've been there) 

My advice to all is fix it now!!!!  Don't promote bad habits... I had too many kids in my kindergarten classes (used to teach, now sahm) who had major issues in school (like ADHD) due to lack of sleep!

jessicabragan
by on Oct. 13, 2008 at 4:35 PM

At bed time, both of my boys will go right to sleep. Only a few times do I have to lay him back down. My problem is getting them to sleep all night. My 2 yr old, I have noticed  depending on if or how long he takes a nap, he'll wake up durning the night. And my 1 yr old could nap for 4 hrs and sometimes he'll sleep all night, and sometimes he'll wake up like 2 or 3 times. I don't know how to get them to sleep through the night.

...J

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)