Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Road Trip Dilema

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 5:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

This is the first time that I will be taking a long trip with my LO. We are going to Virginia to visit family for a week and I don't know what to pack for him. We live in Texas, so it will be about a 2-3 days drive, plus 7 days stay and then the drive home. I would appreciate any advice I can get as to what to pack for him.

by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LadyUsagi
by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM

How old is your LO?   I am going to be flying with my son in November and I got told to bring little toys, snacks, and things that you know will keep him happy when he's awake. And also if your going to go over moutains or anything that might make his ears pop, give him a pasci or a bottle to suck on to help with the pressure in the ears.

Photobucket

Wiccan-Mother
by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM

He is 5 days old. We are leaving Saturday.

Quoting LadyUsagi:

How old is your LO?   I am going to be flying with my son in November and I got told to bring little toys, snacks, and things that you know will keep him happy when he's awake. And also if your going to go over moutains or anything that might make his ears pop, give him a pasci or a bottle to suck on to help with the pressure in the ears.

frndlyfn
by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 7:54 PM

WOW 5 days old. You are one brave mommy. I didnt go further away than an hour with my LO til she was 4 months old and then we flew across the country. LOTS of diapers, 6 changes of clothing ( can wash while visiting i would think? ) a comfy blanket, if you have it a soothing cd or tape to play in car. Dont forget to pack yourself some snacks and drinks, less expensive than buying them at mini mart.

mkemom519
by on Sep. 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM

The good thing is he's so young he'll probably sleep a lot.  We took our daughter to our cottage at six days old and I packed a lot of basic clothes, tshirts, sweat pants, socks, etc.  And burp cloths, blankets, bottles.  Just remember you can always stop at a store and buy stuff if you need it!!  If you have a washing machine to use during your stay, you should really only have to bring a few days worth, do laundry when you get there and right before you go home.  If not, bring a huge suitcase and shove all the clothes you own in it--my daughter spit up or pooped all over everything at that age :)  Good luck!! 

RebekahYoung
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 1:18 AM

lots of diapers! Make sure you have changes of clothes inside the car. Also, make sure you stop and get your LO out of the car seat pretty often. I know it's a pain (I drove from Fort Worth, TX to Birmingham, AL when my LO was 4weeks) however you want to make sure your LO is getting good circulation, He's so new! Make sure you have a place for him to sleep wherever you are going and bring a little swing or bouncer. Don't forget A&D, mylicon and such... Beware, the trip will throw him off any semblance of a schedule.

Danesmommy1
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 8:06 AM

My first thought was "EVERYTHING!"  When my son was 3 months old we drove to Florida and I pretty much brought everything except the changing table and crib, lol.

Elke

Wiccan-Mother
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Thanks ladies! Well, I better go get our things packed so I don't have to get up at the a** crack of dawn to do it.

MyTwoAngels0608
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Don't forget a pack'n play or portable bassinet!  I live in MD so I know VA is very rainy, windy and cold right now.  Make sure to pack plenty of blankets, hats, and socks!  Long sleeve outfits, no shorts.  Maybe even onesies underneath his clothes.  It is very chilly right now.

robin_renee64
by on Sep. 27, 2008 at 4:44 PM

My advice would be tylenol if your pedi will let the LO take it. My bf and I went on a 6 hour trip to visit our families when our daughter was 2 weeks old. She did great, but got really fussy between all the time in the car, and ppl holding her bc it made her sore. So we had to give her infat tylenol until the soreness went away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)