Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

11month old & possible that she has croupe

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

Help!

My daughter has not been feeling good since last friday with a runny nose.  For the last 2 nights she has been waking up with a loud cough like if she is choking in her sleep. I called the doctor today they scheduled a appt tonight to take her to check if she has croupe. I dont know much about croupe is there any signs of it except a cough? I hope she is ok & she dont need any medication.

by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
leyash
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM

The FIRST thing you want to do is stick her in the bathroom, with a HOT shower going - it's the steam that you want her to breathe in. Take some toys in there or something, so she stays entertained. You want her in there for atleast 10-15 minutes. You can do this 2-3 times a day. It will help break all that phlegm up.

Right after that (this sounds crazy), but take her and stick her head in the freezer for about 2 minutes. Make sure she's dressed and warm, but the transition from hot to cold will help to break all of that stuff up, and help her to get a more productive cough.

Both of my oldest kids have this problem, and we have been to the ER TONS of times for it, until I figured out what I could do at home to get rid of the issue.

Also, if you have a humidifier to keep the air in the room moist, that will work well while she's sleeping. You may not see any changes in the next bit. The cough will always sound worse in the morning, and while she's sleeping.

Also, keep her from crying/screaming too much - that only makes it worse.

Hope this helped!

JenniferK1985
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Thanks alot =)

Quoting leyash:

The FIRST thing you want to do is stick her in the bathroom, with a HOT shower going - it's the steam that you want her to breathe in. Take some toys in there or something, so she stays entertained. You want her in there for atleast 10-15 minutes. You can do this 2-3 times a day. It will help break all that phlegm up.

Right after that (this sounds crazy), but take her and stick her head in the freezer for about 2 minutes. Make sure she's dressed and warm, but the transition from hot to cold will help to break all of that stuff up, and help her to get a more productive cough.

Both of my oldest kids have this problem, and we have been to the ER TONS of times for it, until I figured out what I could do at home to get rid of the issue.

Also, if you have a humidifier to keep the air in the room moist, that will work well while she's sleeping. You may not see any changes in the next bit. The cough will always sound worse in the morning, and while she's sleeping.

Also, keep her from crying/screaming too much - that only makes it worse.

Hope this helped!

leyash
by on Sep. 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Quoting JenniferK1985:

Thanks alot =)

You're welcome. & I know it gets really scary, to listen to her breathe, & the way that it sounds, sounds like she's not getting any air... but it's RARE that she actually can't breathe. Every time we've taken our kids in, when it sounds like they are literally DYING - their oxygen is never less than 97%. I hope that makes you feel better. :]

Hallmomma
by on Sep. 27, 2008 at 3:21 PM

croup is a very distinct cough...it really sounds like a dog barking...a very wheezy barking seal like cough.  My son had it at about 14 months old and he was having problems breathing so we had to take him to the ER and they gave him some breathing treatments and steroids. 

Ive heard the steam helps and in the winter, to take the baby outside to clear up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN