Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DD hates tummy time!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM
  • 19 Replies

My 5 month old DD hates tummy time. She will tolerate maybe 5 minutes of being on her tummy before she starts to scream bloody murder. She even has one of those tummy time toys but that is not much better for her.

She has been rolling from side to side since she was 4 months but has only made it on her tummy once by herself and then screamed because she got her arm stuck under her.

Is there anything I can do to help her like it or do I just keep putting her on her tummy until she screams and hope that eventually she grows to like it?

Any advice please.

by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robertmommy
by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 9:48 AM

have u  tried to put toys  down there so that way she can  have something to play with  while she is doing tummy time?

AshleyRiv
by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 9:54 AM

My daughter never ever liked tummy time and never did it....good luck

lilmomma4
by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I just started tummy time with my DS. He's fine with it only if he is on his Boppy pillow and either me or my BF is laying facing him so he can see us.

gmwood
by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I lay down with her and put toys around her but still not much luck.

ldynes25
by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Mine never liked it either, she would get mad because she wouldn't roll back over onto her back and scream every time.  She was very strong though, could hold her head up well and everything, so I didn't worry very much.  Now shes going to be 6 months on monday and is ALWAYS on her stomach.  she tries to roll over in her car seat, she does it in the bathtib, everything.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, some babies just are not fans of it!

MyTwoAngels0608
by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Tummy time is exercise time for strengthening those muscles!  They're not going to like it, but it really helps with them growing.  I get down on the floor with my son so he can see me and I talk and play with him until he starts screaming bloody murder and then I let him stop. 

Andrea (27), DH (29), DD (2), DS (born 6/23/08). Two furbabies Sasha (English Bulldog) and Toby (Mini-Dachshund)
lverdone
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 12:27 PM

My DD hated tummy time and I never pushed it.  If I got 1 minute out of her it was a lot. 

Anne814
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM

My son doesn't like it either. He'll stay for about 2 minutes, and then he's over it. Keep trying, so he can get muscle strength. However, when he's on your chest and raising his head and pushing against you, that has the same effect as tummy time. Our ped said his child hated tummy time, so that's how they did exercise -- with the baby on their chests. Just as long as the baby is spending a good amount of time lifting the head and pushing with the arms and feet, they can get strong. Good luck.

Kittismama
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM

the only way we could get my daughter to enjoy tummy time was to have her have "Papa tummy time".  He would lay on his back on the sofa and she would lay on her tummy on him.  It gave her the exercise she needed to strengthen those muscles, and it gave her and her papa some special time together every day.  Since I was breastfeeding it was very special to him to have something like that with her, once we started it she would start to get fussy if she didn't get her papa tummy time daily. *smiles*

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.   Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Twain~

tdavis84
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM

At first when we tried tummy time, my DS didn't like it either.  I was also breast feeding and my hubby felt left out most of the time, so we decided why not try laying down and letting the baby lay on his chest and that maybe DH feel better and gave the baby they exercise he needed.  Now I think that he would much rather lay on his tummy than any other position.  It's just a work in progress, you have to keep trying until you figure out what works best.  Good luck!!!!!

Quoting Kittismama:

the only way we could get my daughter to enjoy tummy time was to have her have "Papa tummy time".  He would lay on his back on the sofa and she would lay on her tummy on him.  It gave her the exercise she needed to strengthen those muscles, and it gave her and her papa some special time together every day.  Since I was breastfeeding it was very special to him to have something like that with her, once we started it she would start to get fussy if she didn't get her papa tummy time daily. *smiles*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)