Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My DD hates tummy time!

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 month old DD hates tummy time. She will tolerate maybe 5 minutes of being on her tummy before she starts to scream bloody murder. She even has one of those tummy time toys but that is not much better for her.

She has been rolling from side to side since she was 4 months but has only made it on her tummy once by herself and then screamed because she got her arm stuck under her.

Is there anything I can do to help her like it or do I just keep putting her on her tummy until she screams and hope that eventually she grows to like it?

Any advice please.

by on Oct. 2, 2008 at 9:46 AM
Replies (11-19):
tretresmom
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM

My son is 6mo and is the same way he screams like I am trying to kill him  he will lay on his back but no tummy time.  I have no idea what to do about it either.

Quoting gmwood:

My 5 month old DD hates tummy time. She will tolerate maybe 5 minutes of being on her tummy before she starts to scream bloody murder. She even has one of those tummy time toys but that is not much better for her.

She has been rolling from side to side since she was 4 months but has only made it on her tummy once by herself and then screamed because she got her arm stuck under her.

Is there anything I can do to help her like it or do I just keep putting her on her tummy until she screams and hope that eventually she grows to like it?

Any advice please.

megabrande
by on Oct. 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Mine did the same thing so we quit making her. She did sleep on her tummy though. We let her play on her back and would put toys all around her. She skipped tummy time, but she rolled over earlier than most people I know because she wanted her toys. Once she rolled over we would put her down on her hands and knees for short periods of time and then she was crawling at 5 months. Now she is 10 months and has been walking for two months. I think you should listen to your baby they know what they need at this age.

SweetKristina
by on Oct. 4, 2008 at 11:07 PM

My son hates it as well and he is almost 4 months old. I'm not too worried about it though because he is holding his head up extremely well and sitting up with assistance, which I believe tummy time is really only needed to work their neck muscles and make them stronger? So, if she's doing that, I wouldn't worry too much.

angelcin07
by on Oct. 4, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Doing better then us.  Our DS who is almost 14 m old will not do any time on his tummy.  PT has tried to work with him and nope.  He was born at 33 w and behind on many things but this is not going to happen.  LOL

Cindy Mom of 3

stephmiester87
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 9:49 AM

You have to make it fun for her to be on her tummy, dont just expect her to intertain herself.  Make a game out of it, you lay on your tummy with her and play peak a boo or something. And dont let her go until shes screaming.  If you see that she is gettin bored or upset turn her back over and try again later.  Try several times a day until she gets use to it. Good luck.

gmwood
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Thanks ladies!

Her daddy already has her lay on his chest and she pushes up. Her neck has been pretty stong since about 2 months. She was 5 weeks early but I don't think that is why she hates it so much.

I was down on the floor playing with her the other day and rolled her onto her tummy and she was ok for maybe 10 minutes before I had to roll her back over. She actually rolled herself onto to her tummy once after that and I had to roll her back. LOL

We'll just keep working with her and not push to much.

Thanks again!

SweetKristina
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 10:39 AM

My son has slept on my chest for a long time and that is now he's gotten his neck muscle strength as well. =)

Quoting gmwood:

Thanks ladies!

Her daddy already has her lay on his chest and she pushes up. Her neck has been pretty stong since about 2 months. She was 5 weeks early but I don't think that is why she hates it so much.

I was down on the floor playing with her the other day and rolled her onto her tummy and she was ok for maybe 10 minutes before I had to roll her back over. She actually rolled herself onto to her tummy once after that and I had to roll her back. LOL

We'll just keep working with her and not push to much.

Thanks again!

mommyskisses4u
by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 10:50 AM

My son screamed during tummy time like he was being tortured so I didn't push it hard. BUT he ended up with flat head and a stick neck and the dr said more tummy time pay have prevented it. But he is fine now. Yes, part of his head is flat but you can't tell unless you touch it. I would encourage her to do it daily, even if she screams. You don't have to do it for a long time but maybe after doing at every day, a little longer each time, she will get used to it. GL!

BridgetFilbrun
by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 11:41 AM

My DD also hated it and was always so upset when she was put on her tummy.  I would try it everyday (or a couple times) and then one day she decided to like it, and now at 6 months always rolls onto it by herself and plays and scoots around.  She'll be fine, just keep trying it everyday, and make sure your there with her.  If she gets on her belly by herself by rolling over rub her back to try and calm her down first when she freaks out.  This way she learns that it's ok that she did something different and it may comfort her.  My DH and I also had her playing on our chests a lot too, it seemed to work really well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)