Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

when do u think its time to stop breastfeeding?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM
  • 20 Replies

when is it the right time to stop breastfeeding. My son is four months old and been breastfed since day one. ive heard that ur supposed to stop around 5-6 months. then i heard that its normal to stop around 1 or 2.

by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Where did you hear 5-6 months? It is recommended to do it until one year of age at very earliest but some women choose to go longer. It is really up to you and if you can afford formula for the rest of time until your child can drink whole milk around a year old.

katiebeth1821
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM

the baby is spoose to tell u when he or she wants to stop. They will wing themselves off the breast

jaidynsmommy20
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM

my friend mentioned it to me the other day i didnt think so but he is my first so i dont know too much,shes convised shes right. is

it harder to lean the them off breastfeeding after doing it up to a year??

how do i start lean off when im ready??

frndlyfn
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I would think easier to wean them off after a year bc you could go straight to cows milk, soy milk whatever you have in your house.  One of the breastfeeding groups would be able to help you more with your concerns.

Quoting jaidynsmommy20:

my friend mentioned it to me the other day i didnt think so but he is my first so i dont know too much,shes convised shes right. is

it harder to lean the them off breastfeeding after doing it up to a year??

how do i start lean off when im ready??

shmorris56
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM

The time to stop BF is when it becomes inconvenient for either of you.  Once either of you don't want to do it any more it's time to wean!  I FF my oldest and BF the youngest 4.  I've nursed a total of 7 yrs and counting, but I'm not one of those crazy militant women.  Wean when you want to and not before or after, that's between you and the baby.  Good luck!

Danesmommy1
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 7:07 PM

The AAP suggests BF for 1 year.  The WHO suggests 2 years.  I think it's up to the mommy.  Do it for however long you and your baby are comfy with.

Elke

Bobcatvalley
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 8:00 PM

I am going to do it up til 6 months, then try to do formula up until 1 year.  I would like to do it until 1 year, but we will see how we do when she gets teeth

ARmom
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM

You do it for however long you and the baby are comfortable doing so.
The AAP recommends 1 year.  However - everyone's circumstances are different - so you may want to do longer or not.
Breastmilk will always be good for your child - so there's no reason NOT to give it to them, unless for some rare medical reason.

I BF all 3 of my kids.
My first rejected my breasts at 6 mos old (we THINK it was because  I was pregnant with my ds, but didn't know it and my milk changed - who knows).
I bf my 2nd & 3rd ds until about 7 1/2 mos because my milk production decreased so much I had to supplement with formula after each feeding. 

I plan to bf my 4th (due 2-2009) until I dry up again so we'll see what happens.
But keep in mind how much formula costs if you do stop before 1 year.  My formula was about $120 a month - and that was 2 years ago.

Good luck - there is no right or wrong answer here - it's whatever works for you!

musicangl
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM

lol mine is 8 months and i sooo wish shed wean off me but honestly im gonna start weaning her at around 11 months onto whole milk.. i just dont like bfing and dont wanna do it longer than a yr.. but honestly its totally up to the mom.. the nazis will tell you to never stop and the kid will wean but id feel weird having a 2 yr old walking up to me and pulling my shirt up and going boobie or something.. but thats just me. :) everyones entitled to their own opinions. :)

Amber115
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 9:14 PM

There is no reason to stop BF at 6 months because someone told you to. If you want to, then it's fine. You should not give a baby whole milk before they are 1, so if you wean before then, you will need to use formula and a bottle. Then at around 1 you will need to wean again from bottle of formula to cups of milk. I have BF 5 kids, the longest was 5 1/2 months, but each child had different circumstances. This one is 3 months old, and I would like to go longer (at least 1) but I won't know until we get there. Do what is right for you. 3 months,6months, 1 year, 2 years.... It is your choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)