Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

when do u think its time to stop breastfeeding?

when is it the right time to stop breastfeeding. My son is four months old and been breastfed since day one. ive heard that ur supposed to stop around 5-6 months. then i heard that its normal to stop around 1 or 2.

by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
Amber115
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 9:16 PM

BTW, when you are ready, take away 1 feeding a day for a week or so (min of 3 days) until you have fully switched to formula or milk.

Quoting jaidynsmommy20:

my friend mentioned it to me the other day i didnt think so but he is my first so i dont know too much,shes convised shes right. is

it harder to lean the them off breastfeeding after doing it up to a year??

how do i start lean off when im ready??

stephmiester87
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Its up to you when you stop breast feeding really.  I had a friend who nursed her daughter until she was almost a year and a half.  I stopped just after a month, but that was because I wasnt producing enough for my little piggy he drinks 5 oz of formula every 3 to 4 hours in the day time and is 6 weeks.

twocuteboys
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I would do it as long as possible!  I BF my first for 2 yrs and I am now nursing my 19mo old.  Y our baby will be so healthy and smart.  And the longer that you BF your baby the greater the benefit.  My children are rarely sick and have never had an ear infection.  It is proven that BF babies are smarter.   My now 4 year old is way ahead of the game in his preschool class.  His teacher has made note of that several times.  So don't give up.  You definently will not regret it!

LiLMomma702
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I am debating on when I should wean my son, he is 1 and has 10 teeth. Breast Milk is sooo much better for babies I never wanted to give my son formula!!!! I am going to try pumping my milk and having my aunt (who watches him while I am at work) give him 50\50 organic 1% Milk and breast milk and see how he does now I just have to get him out of eating during the night !!! but you should breastfeed at least until your baby is 1 so you can go straight to regular milk not formula. but that just my opinion. good luck

Mama2HannahLynn
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM

At least a year is recommended, 2 is wonderful. I breastfed for about 16 months, and let Hannah lose interest on her own. Teeth was never an issue for me, even when she got them she didn't bite. But I know all kids are different.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

jaidynsmommy20
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 4:05 PM

thankyou everyone so much. you all helped me alot. im gonna go as long as i can my goal is a year.

Amber115
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 4:08 PM

congrats... goodluck!!!

Quoting jaidynsmommy20:

thankyou everyone so much. you all helped me alot. im gonna go as long as i can my goal is a year.

lovegoinggreen
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 4:10 PM

When they start making your nipple bleed or they bite to hard. I stopped with my son when he was 9 months I stopped with my daughter when she was 3 months because she had jaundis so bad.

Thanks and God Bless

Patricia Lauritzen                                                                                                              

http://www.bestmomsaround.com

Mommy2JAJ
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 10:33 PM

A lot of people think that they will automatically bite you if they have teeth.  While I'm not saying it won't happen.  My son is almost 13 months and he has been bf all his life.  We are in the process of weaning.  But if you think about it, when a child is sucking then his tongue is in the way and he cannot bite you while nursing.  If he starts to bite then he is no longer nursing and now just playing around.  My son bit me twice I think and never again....so far.  If that happens sharply tell them no and try to keep a straight face.  I almost laughed at my son the first time he did it because he had discovered he could do something new.  Then if he bites you again take the breast away from him for the moment.  They don't do it very often when their dinner leaves!  Good luck!

Quoting Bobcatvalley:

I am going to do it up til 6 months, then try to do formula up until 1 year.  I would like to do it until 1 year, but we will see how we do when she gets teeth

jiffypop2207
by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 12:46 AM

i bf my son untill i dried up , about 5 months, and am bf ing my daughter now and plan to as long as i can , probaly around a year or so is my goal. i was talking to my babysitter the other day about this ( she is from rural mexico) and she was telling me that where she is from it is verry common to bf until the child is three or four years old although she has never heard of anyone going beyond that. she said that she bf her kids untill about 3yrs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN