Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 5:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

How old was your child when he/she

knew colors?

shapes?

letters?

numbers?

sorting things?

my 3yo knew all his colors and shapes by about 2 1/2 years old.  He is 3 now and does not know numbers by sight but he does count to 10 and he can recognize if there are 1, 2, or 3 of something.  He knows the difference between a number and a letter but doesn't know letters by sight yet.  He just started singing the alphabet but not in order, he can do a-g and lmnop.  he has no interest in sorting, well not true when i lay out coins in groups of pennies, dimes, etc he rearranges them into a group of pennies and a group of all the silver coins.  but he doesn't care to sort things by color or shape.

my 20 month old is getting to know his colors, he will come up to me and say 'blue car' or 'red sock' but if i say 'point to something blue' or 'what color is this or that' he is not always right.  he can recognize a circle but no other shapes.  he knows when there are one or two of something.  doesn't know letters yet.

does anyone have any tips for teaching any of these things?  i basically just say the color of everything all day long, i read a book about the alphabet to both of them, i lay out groups specific numbers of items and talk about them, i try to get them to sort things with me.  when we play i will say 'this is a lion, lion starts with the letter l, listen to the sound the l makes, what else starts with the l sound?" etc. what are some things you do to teach your young ones things?

by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Krys_mathews
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 5:08 PM

My son is almost 5 and can count to 5 in Spanish. But will not learn numbers in English. Every time I count to 10 he goes 6,18,11,12 he thinks it's the funniest thing ever.

frndlyfn
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM

my daughter is 2 1/2 (31 months) . She knows all the numbers 1-10 by sight but when she counts she goes  1,2 3, 4, 5 , 8 9 10 . She cant say the abc song yet but if you point to a letter she can tell you. For shapes and colors we got a sorter box by fisher price and a puzzle for colors. She laughs when she gives wrong answer so i think she knows more than letting mommy and daddy see. Dora dvds have really helped with all the areas since the ones we have emphasize letters, numbers, colors and shapes. She doesnt speak any spanish yet but if i tell her to do something in spanish she can do the task. Good luck with your children.

shmorris56
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Quoting samaloho:

How old was your child when he/she

knew colors? 2

shapes? 2 1/2

letters? started at 3 1/2 finished at 5

numbers? started at about 4 finished at 5 or so

sorting things? mine were great sorters, they could sort at 2 by color shape and size also cars with cars dinosaurs with dinosaurs.

I taught mine with sorting with silver ware, they helped me put it in the drawer.  Forks go with forks, spoons with spoons and so on.  I used different colors too.  Group an apple with a red bow with a red car.  An orange with a pencil with an orange dinosaur.  so on and so forth.  M&M's are great for counting and colors.  How many of each color?  Sing that ABC song it's good for him. 

Your son sounds completely normal.  Is there a pre-school program you could put him in a few days a week?  I know that state run pre K programs need normal kids to attend to help mainstream the special needs kids.  You could check into that, the programs are great.  Kids have to be beginning readers at the end of Kindergarten now, so the sooner you start him the better it will be for him.  Good luck Mom!

Hallmomma
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM

It seems pretty normal...my almost 4 year old knows his numbers, and can say ABCs and count things, but cant recognize his letters, nor can he write his letters.  My 2.5 year old cant count at all but can tell you letters when you write them or he sees them.  I think its different for everyone. 

ampld99
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM

ok well my daughter is almost 4 and she can count to 10 in english and spanish. she can tell me what some number are but not all she sings the abc song but leaves out hijkl, knows her colors and shapes, my son on the other hand is almost 3 and knows his colors  and some shapes, but i think that is cause jis sister wont let him talk..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)