Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

powder and ready feed formula

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have a question, well sort of. At the hospital I delivered at they put my baby girl on similac advance with iron ready to feed (which I was totally ok with). Well when I got home I switched her over to powder similac of the same kind. Well after feeding her this about a day I notiched constipation in her. Well my dad said to change her back over to the ready feed because it is homogenized and may cure the constipation. Well I tried it and she is back to normal poopys. Why would the powder stuff clog up her bowels? has anyone else had this happen? is my dad right? She is only a week and 5 days old could this have something to do with it? I just thought it was weird cause I though there was no difference in the two. I was just curious and plan to bring it up at my next pedia appt.

by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whales
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 11:37 AM

That is very interesting. Let me know what your pediatrician says. When my first daughter was born the hospital put her on similac adv that was already made. But she was allergic to it so I put her on just reg similac that was already made. My middle child when I got home from the hosp I put her on the already made reg similac cuz I was used to that. Well, my youngest who just turned 8 mths was on the similac adv in the hosp (already nade stuff) when we got home we switched to the powder cuz it was cheaper. She has always been constipated, now she has been getting better but I wonder if thats why.

loomis6
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 11:38 AM

yes the powder can cause constipation.the ready to feed is made differently and easier to digest.your dad is right .my son had same problem.i had to have him on the ready to feed till he was like 5 months old.i called the comany and spoke w/ a nutritionist and she also said that ready to feed is made differently and some babys cant handle the powder because of way its made harder for some to breakdown which results in constipation.

Avr-88
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 12:12 PM

i had the same problem actually. but then i switched to the concentrated cans. it's cheaper then the already made stuff. the powder tore my lil mans belly up. and we started getting the concnetrated cans (equal parts liquid concentration to water) and it worked the same as the premade. mainly because it wasn't seperating or wasn't a powder. so you should try that.

fallentears1986
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Thanks so much ladies! Your advice and experience really helped, glad it just isnt my little one. I will try the concentrate since its cheaper and hold off on the powder till about 3 months or more depends on how she takes it! Thanks so much!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
AshleyRiv
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I'm not saying you don't know what your talking about I just don't understand how you realized she was constipated after one day?  My daughters doctor said that just bc they don't poop everyday doesn't mean their constipated and it's ok if they don't go everyday

fallentears1986
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM

It wasnt one day, it was three. I know she wont poop everyday and it wasnt the frequency it was the consistency. Her poop was like logs not liquid like it was supposed to be. I have a book called baby 411 and they said if their poop looks like logs, its constipation. After starting on her on the ready feed it became soft in a day or two.

Quoting AshleyRiv:

I'm not saying you don't know what your talking about I just don't understand how you realized she was constipated after one day?  My daughters doctor said that just bc they don't poop everyday doesn't mean their constipated and it's ok if they don't go everyday

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
raczac
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM

My oldest had the same problem with powder formula.  The doctor asked us what kind of water we were using and the hospital told us it was fine to use tap water, the doctor told us to try nusery water and that helped with him.  Hope this helps.

Mom to Riley and Zachary

mom2ljh
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 9:19 PM

My son couldn't tolerate powdered formula until about 4 months.  We used liquid concentrate until then, as it is slightly less expensive than the RTF and he was on increased calories, and there's no way to do that with the RTF, as Nutramigen comes only in 20cal/oz. 

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

gmwood
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM

My DD was 5 weeks early so they told us at the hospital to stay with the RTF formula because they were concerned some might not get mixed right and it would bother her digestive system. We were able to switch her to the powder after a month and now that you mention it she did seem a bit constipated on the powder but she worked it out.

The doctor told us we could give her up to 2oz of water if she seemed constipated or if it was on the hard side.

I would stick with the RTF for now if that seems to make a difference and try the powder when she is a little older.

Doctors and other "experts" will pretty much tell you they are the same but ask a mom and she will tell you otherwise.

newmommymay08
by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 8:20 AM

All of the powder similac is very thick, I had my daughter on Enfamil Lipil AR which is just as thick as any of the similac.  She was constantly constipated with that and finally I switched her over to Enfamil Lipil which is a much finer powder and no constipation.  My guess is that the ready to eat is mixed so well that there is a major difference with mixing it yourself.

in lovebaby girlttc

wife to Patrick***mother to Hailey***ttc #2

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN