Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Traveling with baby for the 1st time

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello Ladies

I have a ? for veteran mommy travelers.  I am a new mommy of 1 little girl; my husband would like to take a 10 day vacation at the end of October (baby will be exactly 2 months old) he wants to go to North Carolina (via car) for 2 days then Florida (via plane) for the following 7 days.  I am dreading this trip and would rather not go for several reasons: one being the money I think no that we have a baby we need to save as much as possible; because I did not have enough paid time off 6 weeks of my 12 weeks off will be unpaid.  We can make do on one income but we'll have to tighten our belts. I think 10 consecutive days away with an infant is too much for the first time and I'm not sure how she is going to act.

I told my husband that I would rather split the trips up; postponing the Florida trip taking the North Carolina trip as planned.  needless to say be exploded; was not at all happy with me. 

What would you ladies suggest; should we go to both places one after another or would you suggest that she split the trips up????

Any advice/ suggestions are welcome.

by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicangl
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:31 PM

i personally would rather do everything when the baby is littler and will sleep tons.. my lovely husband has decided we are DRIVING to ohio from virginia.. its like only a 12 hour trip but we have a 20 month old and an 8 month old who by christmas will  be 23 and 11 months old and needless to say they aint gonna like staying still that long and wont sleep that much of the trip. lol so if i was you id do it all right now as long as it wont bankrupt you.. and just hold the baby tons and baby should be totally fine that young.

nmarieh
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I drove from Indiana to Nevada - 2100 miles - with a 1 yr old. I don't advise it! It was VERY hard to do everything and would probably be much harder when a smaller baby!

jennjune1984
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

My little girl by now is almost a frequent flyer.  She has been on a plane at 2 weeks, 2 months, 7 months and we just drove from South Carolina to Louisiana at 11 months.  Of all these times, I loved it the best when she was 2 weeks and 2 months on the plane.  She slept the entire time and was not fussy one bit.  Strangers didn't frighten her or anything.  As she got older, the plane trip was horrible because she didn't want to be held that long and was not use to sleeping in my arms.  So my suggestion is go now and save like mad when you return!

ldynes25
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM

My daughter was about 2 1/2 months old when we flew from Colorado to NY.  She did very good.  I kept tylenol on me in case she needed it, but she never did.  She slept for most of the time.  I brought her boppy pillow and put it in my lap and thats where she slept.  They tell you to make sure they are eating or sucking a pacifier during take off and landing to pop their ears, but my kid never had a problem.  The middle of November I will be taking her alone this time home to NY for the holidays, and she will be almost 8 months by then.  I would much rather fly when they are tiny and don;t wiggle a lot....this next trip is going to be hard, I can tell already, haha!  Good luck with whatever you decide, the baby will be fine

nicci260
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I remember with my son it was alot easier to travel with he was real young.  Once he got to about 8 months it got hard cuase he understandably wanted to play and crawl around.  So we got a lot of complaining when he was older, haha.    I personally would do it now so you can enjoy your drive, hehehe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)