Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

everyone worries about feeding their baby enough

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM
  • 2 Replies

i see so many posts about wondering if their baby is getting enough breastmilk. i do too. counting diapers and such. well apparently i am feeding my baby TOO much! she has been very fussy since we came home from the hospital (she is 1 month old) grunts alot, very gassy, sounds congested (gets worse at night), sounds like she is choking at night, spits up but not a huge amount. well i took her for her appt today and she has gained 2 lbs 3 oz in 19 days!!!!! she is 3 lbs 2 oz over her birth weight. all she wants to do is nurse...all the time. she won't take a pacifier at all (i have tried several kinds). the dr said that so much eating is causing reflux and being worse at night because she is lying down. since emma eats too much she feels yucky and cries and the only thing that soothes her is nursing more but it just makes it worse. so i have to stretch out her feedings and just deal with her crying until we get her feeding schedule straightened out. i didn't think that you could overfeed a breastfed baby. i thought they had that internal wiring that told them when to not eat. but it should get better soon. i am so stressed with all the crying and the constant nursing anyways. i am really glad that i know what the problem is and can fix it. even though the solution isn't going to be that fun. anyone else had a similar problem?

by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Amber115
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 6:19 PM

My son sucks on his pacifier all day. If he is not BF, he is sucking on his binky. He just turned 3 months and is 18 pounds. He spits up but is not very fussy (mostly cause of the binky). He will only take a NUK. I had to tap it in order for him to keep it in his mouth when he was little, now he is fine. I would keep working on the binky or completly ignor your doc. You can't overfeed a BF baby. You could try co-sleeping at night. The non movement should help her not spit up. My first boy was 7 lbs 10 oz at birth and 12 pounds at his 2 week visit. They have always spit up alot, but always been fine. I don't know if I was really helpful or not, but I tried. LOL

Bobcatvalley
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 7:03 PM

My little gril tries to eat whenever she gets fussy, and nursing is a comfort thing for her during those times.  So I have to pay attention to when she ate last and all that.  I use a nuk and help to keep it in her mouth.  She is 3 weeks.  If she is not comforted by that at all, then I know she is hungry.  I was feeding her everytime she was appearing to want to latch on, but then I realized she was fussier and spitting up.  So she had to be eating to much.  Continue to try to get your baby to take a paci. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)