Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Be careful! My 19 month old broke her leg

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM
  • 2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone an FYI as I NEVER thought in a million years this could happen and it did to my child.

Yesterday, while playing at a friend's house at a birthday party, my 19 month old daughter was on the bottom step (right by the grass) and the friend's dog was on the top step coming down from the deck.  Another child at the party threw a ball from the top step for the dog to fetch.  The dog took off after the ball and bumped my daughter who was standing on the bottom step.  She tried to catch herself and braced with her foot.  Her foot stayed steady and her ankle twisted as she fell over onto her bottom into the grass.  It was not a hard fall and there were no outward signs of trauma; no scratches, bruises, swelling, bleeding, etc.

She cried and cried (which is very unlike her).  She refused to put any weight on her leg.  We took her home after about another 45 minutes as my DH and I thought that she was overly tired and just needed a nap.  She slept only an hour got up crying and still would not put weight on her leg.  We then realized there was a problem.  We took her to the ER where she was x-rayed and diagnosed with a buckle fracture of her tibia near the ankle.

So beware of your child twisting their foot while falling off a stair, even if it is not a hard fall, it can break their leg.  I never knew this.  While at the orthopedic office today, we met another family with a 2 year old girl that had also fallen off a step and broken a leg.  Please be careful! 

by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2008 at 12:18 AM

wow, Thanks for the heads up. I hope your LO feels better!

marchand_84
by on Oct. 7, 2008 at 12:27 AM

that happened to me at about that age. my oldest brother who was 6ish had picked me up but didnt have a good hold and dropped me no more than a foot or 2 and broke my leg. I had a cast from hip to ankle. and it took my parent almost a day to realize cause they never thought such a small fall could do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)