Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

MIrena good or bad?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM
  • 22 Replies

Here's the thing, my husband and I are extremely fertile.  My two kids are 18 months apart and my husband and definetly don't want anymore for awhile.  HOWEVER WE WANT MORE EVENTUALLY!  We've both agreed we want a big family but we want to finish college before anymore.  So we need birth control.  My daughter was conceived on condoms.  And I am planning on breastfeeding for at least a year.  AND I am partially Bipolar so I need something that won't affect my mood that much.  I have had a hard time with the pill in the past remembering it. 

What have you found as the best method of birth control?  I'm planning on getting the mirena.  But i would like more info? How effective? any Problems? 

by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaileyInezMom
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I don't have it but my best fiend does and she loves it and it works well for her she is also bipolar.

LavenderMom23
by Member on Oct. 12, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Mirena scares me. I've liked Depo in the past. Although I am so tired of hormonal birthcontrol. I am switching to condoms.

nganddc08
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM

ive heard mirena is really effective however, my aunt had it put in and it somewhow got into another part of her body, and she had to have evrything taken out...im on the depo shot, and its just easier for me i cant remeber to take the pill either, besides my son was conceived on the pill....my mother uses depo as well and she is bipolar...goodluck!

Mandygurl2
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I have the mirena and so far no problems. I only have light spotting and some days not at all. I just had my third and was unsure whether to tie my tubes or not. So this was the best alternative. I would recommend it. By the way I have to comment that I have never heard of anyone being partially bi-polar you either are or your not....

gmwood
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I have opted not to get Mirena because of the hormones. I am getting the paraguard in few weeks. I understand Mirena affects all women differently but paraguard is an option if you don't want to deal with hormones.

Good Luck! 8)

Amber115
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I second this... mirena can cause loss of milk (most women stop BF within a few weeks) and cysts. Paraguard is almost the same thing without the hormones.

Quoting gmwood:

I have opted not to get Mirena because of the hormones. I am getting the paraguard in few weeks. I understand Mirena affects all women differently but paraguard is an option if you don't want to deal with hormones.

Good Luck! 8)

gaalar
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I have Mirena and I love it.  I like it because I never remember to take my pill.  I have tried pretty much everything out there, nuva ring, the patch, the pill, depo.  I like Mirena the best.  I didn't do well with the nuva ring because it was gross.  I had to stick my hand in my cookie and go looking for it.  I was not a fan.  The patch fell off.  I always forgot the pill and deop made me pissy.  So Mirena works well.  I have really bad periods and it has stopped them.  I suggest looking into paraguard because it doesn't have any hormones and it will help you with the mood changes. 

Ms64
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Just like you my boyfriend and I are very fertile my girls are 10 months apart (16 and 6 months). I've been on the mirena since May it's worked great so far the only thing is I've stopped having a period almost immediately (since july). I guess thats a plus!!! Good Luck!!!!!

mami2cervantes
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM

i have mirena and love it! i am also really fertile (so is my huby), i conceived both my kids on the pill, and i have had the mirena now for 19 months and it has worked so far. it was alittle uncomfortable putting it in and i have some spotting for a day or two, but since then i haven't had any really bad cramping and my perods have been lighter and alot further apart. (i had really bad cramps during my periods before getting it)..... my best friend has it too (she's the one that recommended it to me) she's had it for 4 years now and she still swears by it.

wifeynmama
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM

I wont do mirena or any IUD cause of the fact that if you did conceive, it makes it so the egg cant stick therefore aborting the egg. I am against abortion, and I consider life beginning from the time the sperm reaches the egg. That is just me though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)