Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Tiny strings and Mirena?! TMI

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay so one of my younger brothers and his gf have decided to start trying for another baby. their son is 9 months going to be 1 in january.  as much as i have tried to talk them in to waiting they dont want to. fine okay. she had told me she had an appointment on the 20th of this month to get her Mirena  out and their goal was to get pregnant before her next OB appointment in early Nov. Now they are telling me that my brother "took it out" for her. Apparently there are tiny strings at the end of it and their doctor told them to "check it" every couple weeks to make sure it didnt fall out. Now this doesnt add up to me or my husband because i have Mirena and i have seen it. I never saw any strings attached to it nor did my dr. tell me to check it cause it can fall out easily. Of course my brother and his gf arent the most truthful people so they may just be wanting to tell everyone this so that they wont get yelled at for being irresponsible and stuff. but i wanted to ask the smartest ladies i knew if this was even possible or if was right in my assumption.

by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nikkiJ86
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM

it's true.There is a string attached and you are supposed to check and make sure its still in place because they can fall out.

KaelynsMom2008
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM

It does have strings attached to it.  When i got it put in my doctor told me to feel for it every now and then to make sure it hadn't fallen out.  I'm really suprised your doctor didn't tell you that when it was put in.

LillianKorah
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I have an iud called paragard and the doctor stated that there is a string that should be used to check it but she cut mine very short due to other patients complaining that it was uncomfortable during sex for their partner because they could feel it.. WOW I hope she didnt get any damage down there from him pulling it out like that... 

Mama_Mandy085
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Quoting manas2ofakind:

Are you sure your on mirena.....

Ive been on the mirena  iud for over a year now,It can fall out...depending on your activity I suppose.I check my strings usually once a month.

I would tell them that its stupid to take it out themselves.She needs to have a physical before trying for another baby,after getting off birth control like that..

im positive its mirena but now im kinda upset cause my doctor didnt tell me about checking it and also i thought i saw it and maybe i just didnt notice the strings. now im kinda worried for myself.

babymama322
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Yes its true.  My Dr actually cut mine long because I told her I couldn't feel them after she put it in and my dh says he can't feel them.  I check them about once a month.  She should have a Dr make sure she didn't hurt anything removing it herself.

proudmamafeb
by on Oct. 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I don't know what your doctor showed you but I am on Mirena and there is definitely strings that if you wanted to you could pull it out...and I was also told that I need to check every so often to make sure it is still there and what not as if you were pregnant on this birth control it is harder to know cuz you don't have a period. I don't think that they should have just taken it out that don't sound too pleasant cuz I remember what it was like when they put it in but hey whatever its her cervix not mine! LOL

LogansMommy8608
by on Oct. 13, 2008 at 10:10 AM

i have it ... and well.. i hate it! i mean its good BC... but i bleed all the time!  and i mean ALL THE TIME!! the stings are too long and i get crazy bad cramps

but yes there are strings.. and they dont normally check it every couple weeks... its like a month after u get it.. and then every year (at least thats wat my OB said)

and that is VERY dangerous if they did take it out themselves... and not very smart at that. they want another baby... but they probably just made it to were they couldnt have one...

Ms64
by on Oct. 13, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I got the Mirena in May of this year and yeah there are long strings attached...I guess it's different for everyone but I stopped havinga period soon after I got it (since July)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN